banner

Thursday, April 15, 2004

I love my boss.

It's been a very long time since I've been able to say that, so forgive me if I must say it again.

I love my boss.

Most people get to feel that way the first week or so at a job, when everyone is still on their best behavior. But once the honeymoon is over, that sentence is rarely uttered again, and since it has been so long for me, please, just one more time?

I love my boss.

I am currently in a very difficult work situation where two people are in charge of a radio station, one with ever-so-slightly more power than the other, and the other being... me.

My boss B works at a different station in the company, and calls everyday, but is actually on location with us just once a week or so.

And working S is a challenge to say the least. He's 25 years older than I am, and can drop names with the best of 'em. He's played pranks on a world reknown jock. Gets birthday cards from the organizer of one of the best radio-information websites on the planet. He's had beer with a nationally syndicated jock in L.A... and yet he's working with me at a small market brokered station. And in between the name dropping, he's got a lightening temper, and a mind like a sieve. He will be jumping up and down yelling that he's never gotten any information on how something is supposed to run, while I'm printing out a week-old e-mail from him that is describing how this very element should work. When something goes wrong, despite the fact that the computer has several bugs, and despite the fact that I've done it correctly for the past 30 days straight, he condescends so much that he spells out how to save a file.

It's not easy to work with someone like that.

And the thing is, B knows that. He's specifically called me in the past few days to ask me to be patient and not leave the company. He tells me he's going to have a sit down with S, to try and curb some of the problems. He shares his life with me, and laughs with me, and makes me feel like it's okay to have problems, and that the job I'm doing is a good one in general.

That's so wonderful, and a feeling I haven't had in a very, very long time. I like it.

Thoughts for the Day:

Jack E. Reichert - “The difference in companies is people. I would rather have a first-class manager running a second-rate business than a second-class manager running a first-rate business.”

F. G. “Buck” Rodgers - “Sometimes the manager must perform with the courage and agility of a circus performer, carefully crossing the highwire between short-term problems and long-term objectives.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.