banner

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

I’ve frogged the sleeves of my Colored Cable sweater. (I really should figure out how to put pictures up on this thing!) But someone said the other day (quoting someone else, so forgive me for not remembering who) “what were you going to do when you finished that knitting? Look around for more knitting? Well, now you’ve found it!” so my heart isn’t too broken. I forgot to factor into my measurements the bulkiness of the yarn I’m working with, and I think the sleeves would have been far too snug… which makes me suspect I may have to do that for the waist as well. I’ve only gotten an inch or so up, so it isn’t too much work to redo it. And the yarn is just so luscious, I’ll enjoy it either way. It’s Blizzard, a super-bulky alpaca/acrylic blend. I adore alpaca more than any other fiber, I think, and the acrylic gives it a bit of stability. The alpaca is so very soft, and the yarn so thick (and hardly spun at all), it’s like knitting with bunny ears. I had hoped to have more done of the sweater before Maryland Sheep and Wool to show my Knitters Review friends… but I’ll have enough for them to “ooh” and “aah” in their loving and generous ways.

I can hardly think of anything else. An entire weekend out in the country (I love that farm smell!) with fellow knitters and fiber-philes. I’ll spin on every wheel I can find, as GB has promised once again that I should have a wheel of my own, once I find the one that sings to me. (What a man I have to encourage my habit so! I know I sang his praises only a few days ago, but really he is something amazingly special. And mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine!)

I was raised in the suburbs, but spent much of my time growing up in country settings. My grandparents had a lovely bit of property on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and every moment I could possibly weasel out of my parents I went out to a local horse farm, where I sat with the horses, rode, taught riding, played with the dogs (and ferrets, and cats, and birds!) and enjoyed life. Without knowing it I learned a great deal about respect for other living beings, and about communication – with humans, and with those who don’t speak our language. There are so few places I would rather be than next to a warm animal on a beautiful spring day, hearing little but the sounds of the earth, breathing that animal air, communing with nature, making friends with silence.


Thought for the Day:

E. B. White - “It was the best place to be, thought Wilbur, this warm delicious cellar, with the garrulous geese, the changing seasons, the heat of the sun, the passage of swallows, the nearness of rats, the sameness of sheep, the love of spiders, the smell of manure, and the glory of everything.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.