banner

Monday, May 31, 2004

A day off. FINALLY. It should be delightful. Right? I should be sleeping, lounging, feeling at one with my world. GB just left for a two week business trip, so while I'll miss him dreadfully, today at least is free of having to speak to anyone or any of those "compromises" that make marriage challenging. None of that for me. Not today. It should be delightful.

Should be.

And I did sleep.

And I have lounged.

And I'm not feeling very one with my world at all.

Last night GB went out to put gas in the car before his trip today, and got lost and ended up at a bar with friends. Fine. In the process of my repeated phone calls to his cell (which were never answered) I finally checked our voicemail messages.

And someone wants Oscar.

Pause here for the sound of my heart breaking.

Well, maybe. There's still a screening process, and I do get a miniscule amount of say in it, and you can be sure I'm going to double and triple check why someone wants a pitbull (wants MY pitbull). The mention of anything about security or guarding means I'll be doing everything in my power to keep this person from taking my dog. And there is a chance, I suppose, that this person will love him even more than I do, and will have the other pets to play with, and a big yard to run in, and tons of attention. Sure, it's possible. But I don't want anything less for him ... unless it's me.

I'm not calling the person back today. Not on Memorial Day. I'll try tomorrow night, and then I'm not free again until Sunday. Is that a nasty way of buying another week? It wouldn't be any easier to say goodbye then, if I had too.

I wish GB was here. I'm going to need a shoulder to cry on if this goes through.



Thoughts for the Day:

Dixie Wilson - “He may look just the same to you, And he may be just as fine, But the next-door dog is the next-door dog, And mine - is - mine.”

Thornton Niven Wilder - “Many who have spent a lifetime in it can tell us less of love than the child that lost a dog yesterday.”

Mark Twain - “If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.