banner

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Most days I can get through without thinking too much about it, go on in my happy little haze, play with my yarn, and forget that the world is the way it is.

Today is not one of those days. The world makes me sad. The way people treat each other, and think of differences, and deal with disagreements, it all makes me very, truly sad.

It reminds me of how helpless we are. Helpless because I don't know the answer to fix the problems. I don't know what the right thing to do is. I know in my heart it's not war - it does not end evil to create more evil. So I know what it isn't. What it is eludes me... and many others.

It disgusts me to see our "leaders" (and I use that term very loosely) taking advantage of photo ops, standing beside wounded soldiers, presenting themselves as great people who support "the little man". They don't - they have no idea what "the little man" means, and are doing the worst thing a manager or leader can do - expecting a great sacrifice from the followers, and not being willing to give that same sacrifice of themselves. They don't gain my respect by making a phone call to a wounded soldier, because the fact that I know about it proves to me that they are doing it not out of respect for that soldier, but out of a chance to show what "great leaders" they are.

It angers me to hear of more and more cases of our forces treating the "enemy" as less than human, and still being pompous enough to complain about the way the "enemy" treats its own. I support each individual who loves our country in a way that leads them to risk their lives for it. I do not respect the military in general, and less so at this point in time.

It scares me that there are people - on both "sides" of this battle who find such entertainment in disgusting behavior that this treatment of others is being video taped. There isn't even any shame from either side, it's a matter of pride that they are so inhuman and dispicable, something they tape to replay over and over.

And it makes me so sad that it isn't going to end soon, and it's probably going to be worse, and I have an 11-year-old stepson who might get drawn into it, because people today are not taught that the most important thing in every relationship is respect - even when there is dislike or hatred, there must be respect. It seems that people say "I understand the difference between real life and television (or video games)" and yet they still think they can rewind and try things again. Or that another life will pop up if they're killed.

The state of the world makes me very, very sad. I don't know what to do about that.

Thoughts for the Day:
Jonathon Larson - The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation.

Agatha Christie - One is left with the horrible feeling now that war settles nothing; that to win a war is as disastrous as to lose one.

Albert Einstein - You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war.

Jeannette Rankin - You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.