banner

Thursday, June 10, 2004

Hmmm... I'd written this long post about how I felt in high school compared to how I felt now, and self esteem and twisted self image... and it was getting more than a tad maudlin.

Since I don't generally recommend maudlin without an olde English taverne (complete with extra "e"s) and a high dosage of cheap scotch, I decided to skip it for today, and just leave the quotes. Maybe I'll write about it later, but for now I think it reaches too far into the "things I don't want to admit about myself" category, or worse yet "things that people will feel obligated to respond with flattery and cheap praise". I'd rather drop it back into the "things to be later explored" drawer, and bring it out again when it's less personal. Or I'm more mature. Or something.

The arrogant and irritating talk show host on the air at my station right now (to distinguish him from the arrogant and irritating talk show hosts who are not on the air at the moment) is telling us that if we just concentrate on what it is that bothers us, it will disappear. This stemmed from him thinking that he needed to sneeze, but not actually sneezing. He then worked it into the urge to go to the bathroom, and surgical pain. Apparently, just "focusing in on" these things will cause them to evaporate, which is maybe a poor choice of words considering the need to go to the bathroom, but hey, he said it, not me. Do you think if I really concentrated on my fat, it would vanish? Of course, the show is supposed to be about the stock market, so what does he know about anything? He loses other people's money for a living.

Thoughts for the Day:

Unknown - The truth of the Self cannot come through one who has not realized that he is the Self. The intellect cannot reveal the Self, beyond its duality of subject and object. They who see themselves in all and all in them help others through spiritual osmosis to realize the Self themselves. This awakening you have known comes not through logic and scholarship, but from close association with a realized teacher.

Unknown - There are two trees, each yielding its own fruit. One of them is negative ... it grows from lack of self-worth and its fruits are fear, anger, envy, bitterness, sorrow - and any other negative emotion. Then there is the tree of positive emotions. Its nutrients include self-forgiveness and a correct self concept. Its fruits are love, joy, acceptance, self-esteem, faith, peace ... and other uplifting emotions.

David Herbert Lawrence - Beauty is a mystery. You can neither eat it nor make flannel out of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.