banner

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

I am SpiderWoman.

Okay, it's not as impressive as a deep, husky voice stating emphatically "I am Batman." But hey, I'm working with what I got here...

All I want to do is spin. Being here at work is killing me.

Okay, I did have some brief excitement when a host said "who gives a shit" and I got to bleep it out. But for the most part, I'm bored silly, and just want to be home with Fiona. I'm borrowing some Patsy Z videos from Bess, and I don't think I want to spin anymore of my superwash until I see them. That fiber is for something very special, and so while part of it can be my bumbling "I don't really understand the finer points of this process" newbieness (word-creation, just one more sign of fiber inspiration) I do want some of it to be nicely spun.

Tonight I think I'll spin some of the fiber Meg sent to me, and blend it with some wool I bought off EBay to make a hat for GB. I've never knit him anything, because of the Love Sweater Curse, but we've been married for nearly six months, and frankly if I didn't ask for a divorce last week, I think it's safe to knit him something now. So I've got this lovely charcoal grey wool/angora/llama blend, and some nice slate blue wool that I think I'll blend in just a touch, and I'll spin that up tonight. I don't think he'll actually wear what I make him, but I'm so desparate for something to spin, I'll go for anything right now. My ultimate plan is to knit him a hat out of the grey and blue, and then make myself a hat with that same blue, some pink, and maybe some white... sharing the blue makes it sort of coupley without being too nauseatingly "dressed alike"...

I realized (too late, of course) that I'd forgotten to get anything for my dad for Father's Day, which is always awkward because he tries to be stoic, but is just slightly less sensitive than I am. It's been sort of a tricky relationship over the years, but it's certainly better now that I don't live with him, so it wasn't an intentional slight. Maybe I'll buy some fiber and spin him something for a hat and scarf? Dad's have to forgive you for being late if it's handmade, right?

Thoughts for the Day:

Alexander Pope - “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line.”

Tryon Edwards - “Any act often repeated soon forms a habit; and habit allowed, steadily gains in strength. At first it may be but as the spider's web, easily broken through, but if not resisted it soon binds us with chains of steel.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.