banner

Thursday, June 03, 2004

I'm taking a knitting class on reversable cables this Saturday with Lily Chin. Those in the non-knitting world (like there is one!) may not know that name, but to knitters, she's a celebrity, and I'm quite excited about the class. It's a bit of a drive - down to Richmond for a day, but I'll get to see my dear Bess, which is always delightful, and a day away from this place will be nice.

And realizing that I hadn't heard from the owner of the shop in which the class will take place, I sent her an e-mail to ask if there was homework. There is, and of course it should be done on three needle sizes which are currently loaned out to knitting converts (my mother, and my DSS are both being taught to knit) So off to The Yarn Garden (aka car-accident-yarn-shop). I thought "it's been a rough week, I'm gonna get me some needles" (except when I'm tired and cranky the southern accent comes out, so it was more like "Ah'm go'na git me sahm needlez" but you get the drift)

After doing a search for some "light colored worsted weight" yarn that they recommend, and discovering that I don't much care for light colors, I also ended up treating myself to a skein of bright green Cash Iroha because 40% silk and 20% cashmere needed to spend time with me after the past few weeks. Look, there's no way on earth I'd be able to afford enough of that stuff for any actual project, so I figure it's worth knitting with something that snobby for a class with a celeb, right? When I went to pick out the needles, I found they've got these funky Addi Turbos that are single points, but have the cord with a stopper. Those are all they have out. Their real needles are behind the counter (like cigarettes, which judging by my obsession is maybe a good place for them). So I wandered over to look at the needles, confused, the woman came over and showed me where the real ones were, and when I expressed extreme indifference as to the length (my homework said 8,9,and 10 - it's flat knitting, I just wanted circs) she started speaking slower to me and explaining just how long it was when it said 24". Okay, even a non-knitter can figure out how long a 24" needle is, right? "Yes," said I, "I'm taking a class with Lily Chin on Saturday and I just needed these for the homework." I don't think she knew who Lily was (again, not a problem for a non-knitter, but she works in a yarn shop for crying out loud!), because after I got the needles I needed (with much insistance that I really didn't care what length they were) she said "well, those should be nice for your little class."

Um. Yeah. Thanks for that.

Thoughts for the Day:

Henry Winkler - “Assumptions are the termites of relationships. I wrote that.”

Harvey Ullman - “Anyone who stops learning is old, whether this happens at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps on learning not only remains young, but becomes constantly more valuable regardless of physical capacity.”

Lillian Smith - “When you stop learning, stop listening, stop looking and asking questions, always new questions, then it is time to die.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.