banner

Monday, June 21, 2004

Lessons I've learned since Friday:
1. Annie Modesitt was right - passion for one thing, does ignite passion for another. I spun and spun and spun all weekend, and when my petite derriere got sore from sitting in that one position for too long, I jumped right into knitting my cabled tank that I'd grown bored with. Got a good deal done on the straps, and a good deal more figured out. Looking forward to playing with it (and Fiona) more tonight.

2. Messy eaters should only get sushi when they are wearing soy-sauce-stain-colored skirts. 'nuff said about that.

3. GB isn't all bad after all. He tried to surprise me at work Friday with a dozen roses to apologize for being a schmuck, actually called AS I was hitting the post button from Friday's post to tell me he was lost. Of course, he was calling from view of the Yarn Garden, less than five miles from here, and not only did he never manage to find me, he didn't buy me anything at the Yarn Garden, but I did come home to a nice hug, an adorable stepson, and a dozen roses, so I guess we'll forgive him for now.

4. Where there is one mouse, there will be more. The score currently stands at Trevor: 4 (three yesterday) Oscar: Hey, a little, tiny friend!! and Aslan: yawn. What I can't get is where they're coming from. If this was fall, and the temps were getting colder, sure, I'd want to be inside too. I wouldn't even blame them for coming inside under those circumstances. But for goodness sake, it's lovely outside, and there are CATS in here. Particularly TREVOR, who wants me to knit him a little cape that says "Super Mouser" on it! Looks like time for a serious check of all the grains and food items, to make sure everything's sealed properly. It's not my fault if it isn't - I'm the worst wife ever and NEVER cook. I actually cooked GB breakfast yesterday for Father's Day and DSS thought we'd hired help because he could see his father, yet heard cooking noises. Nope, mouse bait is not my responsibility...

Work is still blah, so here's my latest thought: if everyone who listens to books on tape could please look at those cases, find out what company it is that records them, and let me know through comments on my blog here, I'll start contacting them about doing recordings. I have a few places already, but none that have led to any work. So I figure the more I contact, the better my chances of coming across something that would pay pretty well for not a lot of work, and be enjoyable, and right up my alley. That way I could do that when I needed to, put the money into my savings to buy that alpaca farm, and keep doing that as long as I like.

Thoughts for the Day:

Unknown - If you can't get enthusiastic about your work, it's time to get alarmed—something is wrong. Compete with yourself; set your teeth and dive into the job of breaking your own record. No one keeps up his or her enthusiasm automatically. Enthusiasm must be nourished with new actions, new aspirations, new efforts, new vision. It is your own fault if your enthusiasm is gone; you have failed to feed it. If you want to turn hours into minutes, renew your enthusiasm.

Stanley Baldwin - Fires can't be made with dead embers, nor can enthusiasm be stirred by spiritless men. Enthusiasm in our daily work lightens effort and turns even labor into pleasant tasks.

Samuel Ullman - Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.