banner

Monday, June 14, 2004

This is my horoscope for today:
Super-heroes have many more responsibilities than mere mortals. They can't just shrug their shoulders whenever they encounter a situation that seems dauntingly difficult. They are morally obliged to find the nearest phone box and change into a lycra stretch-suit in a tasteless colour combination. Then, no matter how evil their arch enemy may be, it is encumbent upon them to put up a fight. What a good job that you are not superhuman! Mars, this week, will enable you to achieve some impressive victories. But you should still remember to quit while you are ahead.


I got a little sidetracked last week by mouse carcasses and others, so let me tell you about Thursday at work. Maybe you'll see why this is such a frustrating job!

There was a program that was supposed to run Thursday morning at 10:30. It's only 4 minutes long, but it meant I had to trim another pre-recorded show to make room for it. So I did that. But I was told that the check to pay for their time hadn't arrived yet, and not to put the show into the system until we had that check in hand, so we wouldn't give them any free runs. So I did what I could to make it easy to get the program in if I needed, but left Wednesday night with it NOT set to run.

I arrived at work Thursday morning at 10 am to two members of management in a fit. They'd thought the show was scheduled to run at 9:30, and spent the morning shuffling things around, doing all sorts of unneccessary work to make it fit at 9:30, complaining that I hadn't done what I was supposed to do, and freaking out the poor part-timer, who didn't have a clue what was going on, and was set in too much of a tizzy with their hysterics that he was unable to gather himself to figure out what was going on. If they'd come in calmly, he could have looked at the log, which lists everything where and when it's supposed to be played, and said "nope, it runs at 10:30, and Amie will be here at 10" but they freaked him out, and no one thought to check that log.

So they were pretty near heart failure when I came in and said very calmly that what was left to be done would take all of 15 seconds, and as I was here half an hour before it needed to happen, that would be plenty of time.

Would have been, I should say.

Because they'd shuffled things around so many different ways to put the program in the wrong spot, that I had to scramble for the next 30 minutes to get things back to where they needed to be, that client DID get a free run of their show anyway, and now we also have to make up a running of another show that they pulled out of place to put the program in the wrong spot, and it took me over two hours to fix all the things they'd altered falsely.

They then raved about me to the part-timer, sort of. "Oh, she does everything, we call her 'Atlas' at the other stations because she just carries this whole world on her shoulders and takes care of it all."

The second he left the room, however, it was "You need to pay attention to details, or this never would have happened" (mind you, none of the panic was my mistake at all, but I need to pay attention to details) "If you'd ask questions when you have them," (um, the show was set to run at 10:30, why didn't YOU ask, and save us all the hysteria?) "then things would run much more smoothly. And," (oh, this is my favorite part, right here) "also, S will really appreciate it if you ask lots of questions when he gets back. It'll really stroke his ego."

This is when I smile, nod, walk back into my office and wait until the building is empty, and then scream.

STROKE HIS EGO????

I have been busting my ass working twelve hour days, fixing the DOZENS of mistakes that they discovered S was making, illegal ones mind you, as he was changing things that conflicted with official affidavits, running this station single handedly, working myself into the ground, and I've been doing it all for the benefit of stroking S's ego?????

I think not.

I have proven myself here time and again. I have EARNED a higher position than "assistant to asshole" and they know it. And I am not going back to being treated the way S treats me. So if they think I am, they've got a little lesson about what exactly a Scottish-Irish-Italian-Redheaded temper will do for a gal. Stroke his ego, my foot.

Hmmm... what was that horoscope again? Quit while I'm ahead....?

Thoughts for the Day:
Whiting Williams - “Much of the present difficulty in industrial relations arises from the fact that too many employers as well as too many legislators take the Labor Leader more seriously than he deserves to be taken, while taking the ordinary, everyday, middle-of-the-road wage-earner less seriously than he deserves to be taken.”

Ayn Rand - “The adversary she found herself forced to fight was not worth matching or beating; it was not a superior ability which she would have found honour in challenging; it was ineptitude — a grey spread of cotton that seemed soft and shapeless, that could offer no resistance to anything or anybody, yet managed to be a barrier in her way. She stood, disarmed, before the riddle of what made this possible, she could find no answer.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.