Thursday, July 22, 2004

I did not a single fiber related thing yesterday, unless you count leaning over to the edge of the couch to make sure that crunching noise was Oscar chewing on his bone, not on Fiona. It was. Didn't spin, didn't knit... Didn't have the energy. I'd wanted to come home and take a nap, but I haven't given Oscar a good walk in a few days, and not only is that not fair to him, but it's not fair to anyone else in the house, as he's much easier for the cats and me to deal with when he's had a good walk. So I forced myself to take him to the park, hooked my pedometer onto my pants, and set myself at a one mile minimum. We walked 1.03 miles from the car, around and back to the car. Ha! But I was hurting and exhausted by the end of it.

I did sleep last night, and woke up fairly easily, when my cell phone alarm went off promptly at 4:50 am. The one GB and I use is even more fickle than I am, and despite the fact that we are two highly intelligent individuals, it seems to go off when expected only about 80% of the time. I personally feel one should be smarter than an alarm clock, but for fear that throwing the thing away would acknowlege that I am, in fact, NOT smarter than the alarm clock, it is allowed to live.

So up and at 'em I was, feeling quite like this day wouldn't be so bad. This is the guise morning people get themselves into. It is so easy to wake, we forget that we will actually have to stay awake and answer stupid questions and deal with irksome minutiae later in the day. And I was apparently fooling myself even more than usual, since my natural downtime is around 3pm, but today, I was struggling through sitting up straight at 9am. I was at the point where I was burning up and sweating and feeling nauseated, because the energy it was taking to stay awake was too much to keep the rest of my body in order. I handled what needed to go live on the air at 9:30, went into another office that has a cheesy, very 70's futon on it (you wouldn't believe it unless you saw a picture, which I'll try to take tomorrow.) and set my phone for 10:15. I was promptly what they refer to as "out cold". Nearly 45 minutes of sleep, which is impressive not just because it normally takes me twice that long just to fall asleep anyway, but because less than 10 minutes after my waking, my general manager walked into the building. I doubt he'd have cared so much that I'd been taking a quick nap, understanding the circumstances, but it is something that goes gravely against my work ethic, and I would have felt ashamed. Now, I feel slightly guilty, but enough better that I realize it was the only thing I could have done.

And tonight, I will go to bed early, and sleep as late as I want, as the part-timer is back tomorrow.

Thoughts for the Day:

Velvet Underground - I am tired I am weary I could sleep for thousand years A thousand dreams that would awake me Different colours made of tears.

Sir Philip Sidney - Come, Sleep! O Sleep, the certain knot of peace, The baiting-place of wit, the balm of woe, The poor man's wealth, the prisoner's release, Th' indifferent judge between the high and low.

William Shakespeare - Sleep, that sometimes shuts up sorrow’s eye, Steal me awhile from mine own company.


Blogger caramelknits said...

I want to take a nap just reading about your day! Get some rest! Or knit, whatever... :)

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Marriage is love.