banner

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

It's been an interesting day. Raining a lot the past few days, but I decided I needed a walk, and Oscar needed a walk, and not having been accused of being made of sugar lately, I thought I'd be safe, so we went for it. Off we went on our mile, and we came back feeling refreshed and cheery, despite the dampness.
Thunderstorms

Then into his bedroom for Oscar, and into my newly finished Cotton Fleece tank and off to work for me. I'd been listening to Middlemarch on CD in the car, but not really paying attention, because the language is so lovely and rhythmic I find myself enjoying that without really hearing the words. But somehow one of the disks is missing, and that means...

Dum dum DUMMMMMMMM....
Thunder

Actually listening to the radio.Radio

And I didn't mind it terribly. The jocks were dreadful - I'm much better than they are (and they're making probably three times what I made for doing the same thing) but it's been a long time since I could turn on a radio station and not know all the words, who sings the song, what album it's on, how long the intro plays before the vocals begin, and some trivial fluff about the artist. It was really nice.

I managed to get through lunch without spilling on my tank top (miracle of miracles) and was thinking about radio in general when our afternoon traffic guy called. He and I have kind of an interesting relationship. His voice an sense of humor are almost identical to my friend Kyle, who was doing traffic at another station I worked at when I met him. Because of that similarity, I had a very hard time remembering that Craig didn't already know me well. We've gotten to know each other better in the past few months, and have commiserated on the state of radio as an industry.
Red Hot
Today we both vented a bit more, and we're both feeling the same way... nice to get a little agreement from someone who knows (although, as usual, I topped his worst story with stories of the station in NY) and he says he also wants to try to get involved in voice over and audio book work, so we'll each let the other know if something comes up..
Mix Master
So I'm feeling quite gratified, very "I told you so", which is an odd feeling since no one has argued with me.

Still hoping to figure out that weird plaid problem I had on that swatch... anyone know any good (free) patterns for plaid? The one I used gave me some lovely stripes, and I was able to alter it just enough to come up with something funky, but plaid it was not.

Thoughts for the Day:
Ric Ocasek - “The best thing you can do for a song is to hear it on the radio and to imagine what it could mean to you and then kinda forget the words. Just imagine how you felt when you heard it, if it was one of your songs. If it became one of your songs."

Albert Einstein - “You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat.”

Jasper Carrott - “I am amazed at radio DJ's today. I am firmly convinced that AM on my radio stands for Absolute Moron. I will not begin to tell you what FM stands for.”

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Not sure what pattern you were using for the plaid, but I think Magknits.com has a sweater in plaid this issue...I also know the new FCEK has a plaid jacket in it--you might try that.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.