banner

Monday, August 02, 2004

How depressing.

I blended fibers together, I spun them into a luscious, soft, bulky yarn, a brownish grey with flecks of blue that was beautiful and masculine. I carefully knit it up - twice, because of sizing - into a hat for my husband, the first thing I've ever knit for him.

And it doesn't fit.
Damn Damn

I don't have any more of the fiber (well, there's about two feet left of the yarn) so I can't add onto it. It's a tight fit, so it can't be made smaller... it's just too short. He said he feels like it's a skull cap.

I actually contemplated asking him to shave his head - all that hair's gotta be getting in the way of this beautiful hat, right? - but I was afraid he might be offended.

So it's back to the drawing board. At least he's home, for now.
Cheered Up

I did find a sweater pattern that he liked, and said he would wear (which would mean buying yarn, so that's an off in the future project) and I'm also going to raid my sock yarns and see if there are colors in there that he'd like as socks, and what the heck, maybe a scarf or hat as well... I think it's mostly silly, funky, girly colors, but I was part of a Sock-of-the-Month club for a while, so there's likely to be somethings in there I wouldn't have chosen...

I bought that Jaeger Chamonix in a deep mauve color for less than half price, and it's SO lovely. I couldn't turn it down at that price, and I think I'm going to use it for a very ambitious cabled sweater pattern (that I will of course adapt). I think it'll just be stunning.

The desire to buy yarn has *gulp* subsided slightly. I'm starting to see more and more the many piles of fiber I have all over the house, and starting to think about how many projects I need to do before I buy more. Of course, there are things I'd like to make that I don't have proper materials for - the sweater for GB, one for my brother - and those will be allowed in proper time. But for now, I'm actually enjoying working through my stash and accomplishing things.

I'm plugging away on my WIPs - got a fair amount re-done on the Follies sweater, and I think if I keep plugging away on that, I might have it finished in the next two weeks or so (being fair) and also moved the socks-that-were-forgotten - the Regia Rainbow - into the bedroom, so I got a few more rounds done on them. I really love the yarn colors, but it doesn't knit up they way I would choose, so it's hard to work on them, because I find myself stopping to gaze adoringly at the colors, and thinking of ways to line them up so that they wouldn't blend into a mush like they are now (I don't think it's possible, but if it is, it would involve knitting the socks flat, I think, and I'm not up for that.) If I just keep chipping slowly away, even just a round or two a night, they'll eventually get done.

Oh, and I owe you pictures. You know, from that camera I bought so that I could take pics and put them up while GB was away? Yeah, that one. Ha. Maybe it'll happen later this week.

And then I've got to knit a hat that fits my husband... Have to. This time, it's personal.

Thoughts for the Day:

Stephen Joshua Sondheim - “Ah, but if you have no expectations, You can never have a disappointment.”

Sir William Osler - “Be calm and strong and patient. Meet failure and disappointment with courage. Rise superior to the trials of life, and never give in to hopelessness or despair. In danger, in adversity, cling to your principles and ideals. Aequanimitas!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.