banner

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

How about a photo intensive blog? I figured out that if I tilt the computer keyboard so that my left hand is completely straight, it doesn't hurt my wrist. I had to work this out in order to keep working, but it's a benefit to the blog, as well. But I'll still be getting a doctor's appointment, and hopefully she'll say wonderful things like "oh, knitting would be a great therapy for this!"

So photo intensive we go. Alissa wanted to see a closer image of the afghan project.

And here are close ups of the squares I knit

Obviously that's just checkers. I split the roving by color and spun them that way (I think I navajo plied, too, but I'm not positive). On size 8s, I think it was about 4 stitches per inch.

This was spun without splitting the roving, letting the colors blend as they wanted. No idea what the gauge was, although the yarn was much thinner. I just knit on the bias, so cast one 1 stitch, increased at the end of every row, and when I got to the requisite 8 inches, I started decreasing. This is the square that inspired my husband to say it looked like a tequila sunrise.

And if you remember a million years ago when I was working on a plaid swatch that wasn't plaid? This is it. Nope, still not plaid, although I liked the effect (and it's exactly the opposite on the other side, so the pink stripes run in the other direction, as do the orange). But if the pattern said plaid, and it was important to me that it end up plaid, and this is what I got, I'd have been disappointed. Plaid still would have been nice, but this was fun, too.

5 Comments:

Blogger purlewe said...

so here's my question. If it was supposed to be plaid, and did not turn out to be plaid, where did you get this pattern/stitch from. and if you don't think its plaid (and I don't either, but what do I know?) what would you call it?? strpiey bumps is what I'm going for. that is descriptive and yet not. :)

1:33 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

Well, you can't see the pattern quite clearly here - it's just stripes. Once it became clear that it was not, in actuality, plaid, I flipped the pattern, and then flipped it back. So the stripes go one way, then with the flip they change direction, and with the second flip they go back to the original direction, and it's exactly the opposite on the other side. I'd call it reversable stripes, but definitely not plaid.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Plaid or not, I think it's purty! What did you do to hurt yourself? I didn't read yesterday so will have to run off and find out. Take care!!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I hope your wrist feels better!! Being someone who types all day, I know how the pain can be--and then all you want to do it knit!!!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Alissa said...

That is gorgeous! I love those colors!

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.