banner

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Just so you kind of see what I'm up to now, I got some bulky weight Lornas Laces Aslan and it perfectly matches some Fluff I got at the KR Retreat Swap table (I think the colorway is called Coffee Break?)

So that will become a hat. It's actually started out as the brim of a hat several times, but I can't decide what pattern I want. I know it's variagated, but it really wants to be cabled... and I have in mind a very cabled hat that I've seen around, with cables that grow more narrow towards the top and form a pretty star pattern if you look at the top of the hat, but of course now I can't find it... If you know what I mean, let me know, please?

GB and I had an abbreviated date night last night - we went out to dinner, then stopped off at Borders on the way home to buy a calendar for the house. He's a little afraid to buy a calendar without my permission, because I refuse to buy them before they're needed. The price drops by at least 50% after January 1, and I can't bring myself to pay full retail if I know it'll be available later for cheaper. Just one of my many neurosis that make me so darn loveable. Plus, I'm afraid I'll come home and find a Harley Davidson calendar in my kitchen. We decided on a colorful but otherwise non-descript calendar for the kitchen, and then I needed one for my office, so I got my annual Zelda calendar. I LOVE Zelda. After we'd chosen those, GB had a lapse of sanity that caused him to say he was going to ... um... "powder his nose" and thereby leave me unattended in a bookstore. I actually put back 4 books before he came back out, but these followed me home:

The Knitting Goddess and In Sheep's Clothing. Both got quick skims before bed last night, and I'm really excited to spend a little more quality time with them. It's funny. I've always loved books, since I was very little. And then I learned to love yarn. Books about yarn are a whole new level of decadence...

I also decided I wanted to get more sock needles to get started on the Aslan sock yarn my KRSP gave me. On the way home from work, I'd gone to the Yarn Garden and asked for "tiny double points". Turns out they don't have 'em. Don't ever carry anything smaller than 2, she said. But, she recommended I go to the AC Moore in Glen Burnie, they definitely have them. We can pause here to let the irony of a yarn shop not just telling me to go to a craft chain to buy specific knitting needles, but telling me to go to the very branch of the aforementioned craft chain that just hired me to teach knitting. Hm.

Anyway, I figured I'd get the needles at AC Moore when I went back for class on Friday, but the Borders where we bought the calendars (and books) is right next to a JoAnn Fabrics, so I thought I'd give it a shot. And there I found these little treasures:

Of course you recognize the little sock point protectors (which the clerk who rang me up thought was sheer brilliance - highly impressed with the point protectors, she was) but below that - a "Sock Set" from Susan Bates. Five needles each of size 1, 0, 00, and 000 - for $10. I was very excited and came home and started the Aslan socks right away on the ... umm... blue ones. I couldn't find my needle sizer (okay, I know exactly where it is, but Trevor was feeling amorous and so I didn't want to disturb him) so I just chose the ones that looked right... between silver, gold, pink and blue, blue it is. I'd have taken a picture, but I'm still just doing the toe increases (toe up, of course) so it's just a little disk right now. I'd have gotten more done, but part 2 of date night was to watch De-Lovely (which, by the way, I'm sure you'll love if you're a Cole Porter fan as I am, but otherwise might be a bit surreal) and I kept looking up and singing along. GB enjoyed the second half of date night by playing army games on the computer and saying "yes dear" when I began explaining Porter's chord progressions....

10 Comments:

Blogger Marti said...

i hate to be ominous, but those needles are rather bendy. so be careful!

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOH...I could use a set of those needles! I may be embarking on a pattern that needs 000s, and the others would be handy too!

But alas, no JoAnns near my house. :(

Natalie

12:27 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Aren't books the best!?! I also cannot be left unattended in a book store. But only two books isn't bad! I am going to have to check the JoAnn's around here for those sock needles!! What an awesome deal!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

So- is the hat you're looking for the Shedir from the Knitty Breast Cancer mini-issue?

12:45 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

Melissa, you're brilliant. That's exactly what it was. I had a feeling it was a Knitty pattern, but couldn't find it in their archives. Once you gave me the name, I was able to Google it and found it! THANK YOU!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Darn. I was going to save the day by giving you the name and location of that hat pattern, but someone beat me to it. Just so you know -- I read you every day and enjoy your posts tremendously. I just don't comment often.

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That set of needles is pure genious! I'd have sent some needles along with the yarn if I had known you needed some! Enjoy your sock making, I can't wait to see what they look like!

Your KR Secret Pal

8:03 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Glad to be of help - I think that's a stunning hat. And the yarn you have is lovely.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

My dear KRSP - you have spoiled me plenty! As you'll notice, I said "I decided I wanted..." not I NEEDED the needles! Big difference! :)

8:20 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

I have that needle set but haven't even cracked open the package yet! I am interested in hearing what you think.

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.