banner

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Veeerrrry late today, because it's been madly busy. AC was sick yesterday. This means I had the choice of having him come in, blow his nose all day and hack germs all over the studio, or having me come in for a double shift. Guess which I picked!

I started work just after six am and left around five-thirty. Not the longest day I've ever worked, but I was beat by the end of it. I still think it was better than GermFest 2005, even if I did spend most of the day spraying Lysol on everything he ever touched.

I did manage to get four more rows done on the Time Space Continuem shawl (henceforth known as TSC) so I may have found a small wrinkle in time, which I'm sure will never again be duplicated. I'm on row ten, and I think the rest of the pattern is charted. I know how to read charts, and I like them in theory. But I'm ever so slightly dyslexic, so relying on my brain to tell the difference between / and \ without exploding is no fun, and slows me down a great deal because of the number of times I have to check and recheck. I can tell the difference between K2tog and SSK much more easily. Advancing on TSC from here on out may be tedious if I have to handwrite out each charted row. Pray for me.

I had another class this morning (my third actually, the second being Friday). I've got more students signed up for the weekend, but during the week the numbers are low. That's fine, though, as I get my feet under me. One student didn't show up, so it was a private lesson today. It was nice though, because the one I did have was the one who was farthest along (furthest?) last week, and I'd been unsure she would come back because I felt like I didn't have much time to teach her much last week. But she got the bug bad, and said she hadn't come on Friday because she thought she was only allowed to come once a week. She's already inherited a huge stash of needles and yarn (mostly worsted weight acryllics) and is very excited to learn. Because it was just her, I taught her cables first thing, and finished with YO and K2Tog. So in two lessons she learned cast on, knit, purl, ribbing, cables and lace! Not too shabby, eh? I told her in her next class we'd talk about gauge a lot, since she has some patterns she'd like to try (she's already getting huge requests from family!) and we're going to make a hat. I'll also discuss the slants of increases and decreases, but I wanted today to give her skills that made her feel like she could do something impressive, and as anyone knows, once you've done cables, they're cake, but before that you think they're rocket surgery. So she felt excited and "full" by the end of class, and I think it went really well.

Other than that, does anyone know how to change the image at the top of my blog? The one that on my blog looks like a closeup of green tomatoes? It's not that I don't like green tomatoes, I just wanted to change it, and I can't find anything "image-y" looking in the code of my template. I know what image I want there, I just can't put it there. Of course Blogger help says it's not possible. Still, I find it hard to believe that the page was created and that image accidentally occurred there and they don't know how to make it something different....

6 Comments:

Blogger Thermalgal said...

Wow, that *is* a long day!

I always giggle when people say things like it isn't rocket science (because I have a master in aerospace engineering). But I've never heard the phrase rocket surgery before ;)

As for image at the of your blog... Right now you are using a design supplied by Blogger. I just quickly looked at the source for the main page of your blog and it looks like the design you picked is Rounder 4. The only way to change any of the items of this design is to save the CSS to your server (where ever you host pictures) and refer to that one in the template instead of having it be imported. I can give you more help if you just let me know.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Generally, farthest refers to distance. Furthest refers to something other than distance. So if her skills are the best, she's the furthest along. If her knitting is the longest, she's the farthest along. ;)

6:30 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

LOL! Thank you! I know the difference, I just forget which is which... in this instance, I'd say ... both - her skills are the most advanced, which makes her knitting longer (in the same amount of time) ;)

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/bg_hdr_bot.jpg
that is your picture
change that to what you want

9:36 PM  
Blogger purlewe said...

An idea for your dyslexic /'s and \'s

make one of them a triangle and fill it in. this way whenever you see a slanted triangle in this direction / filled in you kno it is the one you chose to represent ssk or k2tog. if that helps. it will be a marked difference than making them BOTH triangles.. because you'll leave on a slash adn the other will be both triangle AND filled in.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

I really find Blogger help to be worthless! I've not found any of my answers in help. Good luck changing your picture. I've got mine working now, so I'm just settling for the old lighthouse template.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.