Saturday, April 23, 2005

The Tests

I enjoyed having the day off Thursday, but was a bit peeved at the way things progressed. When you get paid by the hour, a day off work, even one that's mentally appreciated, is expensive.

I had one appointment at 11:30. I went in, and was handed a pill, and a cup of water, and told to come back in three hours for the second appointment. It was an iodine pill, and it took three hours to get into my system. The thyroid is the only place in the body that processes iodine, so they could see how much had been processed compared to the norm. (that's why the no seafood or tuna. Seafood and tuna have iodine in them, and it would have skewed the test results.) But it seems to me, rather than having me take the whole day off work, I could have been given a pill, told "take this a X, come in at X+3" and dealt with it that way. The test involved me standing in front of a sensor for 60 seconds. That came out completely normally.

I was sorta hoping it wouldn't. It would have been a relatively easy fix, and it would have been nice to have things settled right then and there. But no.

One more test - this involved an injection of nuclear substance into my arm, and then taking more precise images of the thyroid. Five minutes on the front, five minutes "close up" on the front, and five minutes each right and left side. The left side is where my throat is actually swollen, and every other picture came out relatively normally. But there's something, some mass, blocking the left side of my thyroid. To me, that says it's not the thyroid itself, but something on top of it that's causing troubles. They're sending the images to my doctor and another specialist, but that's all I really know right now.

I'm feeling significantly less 'at ease' with this latest test.


Blogger Kim in Oregon said...

Amie, I'm holding a good thought for you about the second test.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Hope they find out what is wrong quickly and that is something simple to cure/treat.

I know the waiting isn't easy, so try to concentrate on anything else you can while waiting for results.

Sorry you are having to go through this.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Maryellen said...

I hope the test comes out okay.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Hugs to you Amie... Wishing you the best possible outcome.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:07 PM  
Blogger K said...

Hoping for a good result from the test! :D Wishing you peace and knitting in the meantime.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Amie, holding lots of good hopes and prayers for you on the outcome of that test. Waiting is the worst.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Best of luck on your test results. I'm wishing good thoughts and good health your way.

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going with it's going to be okay. Hang in there!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Amie, there is just no other way to say it: waiting is a bitch. That's especially true when it comes to waiting on medical results. You are in my thoughts! I hope that whatever is going on is an easy fix!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Jensgalore said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

Sending good thoughts your way and hoping you hear something positive really soon!

4:55 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Aw, Amie! I'm with Donna: Waiting is most definitely a bitch. It is what it is, though, right?

Wow, I really hope it's nothing major, and that whatever's going on is easily treatable. Like if it's just your thyroid, straight up, you'll tweak your dosage of synthroid till you get it right and then go on with your life. That's my hope for you. The other stuff I don't know about, but I'm sure that whatever the case, there will be some manageable treatment.

I'm thinking of you, girl -- update right away, ok?

Prayers in heart, fingers and toes crossed....


8:00 PM  
Blogger David said...

I hope you're feeling the same warm fuzzy wonderfulness that I am, just reading all these comments from people who care about you.

You really are loved, you know.

: )

10:11 PM  
Blogger erica said...

Oh, Amie. I hope you get some results soon. It's so frustrating when they can't figure out what's wrong with you and to agree with everyone else that has said it, waiting really is a bitch.

I hope that they figure out something soon so you can get on with everything and deal with ever the results tell you.

Take care of yourself while you're waiting. No need to make the stress of waiting aggrevate whatever is wrong.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous patti said...

Amie, I know how frustrating and scary this is. I had all the same tests, the ultrasound, iodine, nuclear, and then biopsy. The whole time, I was scared to death about who was going to take care of my 2 and 4 year old boys because no one was telling me anything and I was sure a huge lump on one side of your neck has got to be fatal. It turned out to be a cyst - one of many actually. Only 1-2 % of thyroid lumps are serious. If you want to talk to me, you can contact me through KR (pattiw).

BTW, we must be on similar knitting paths. After countless socks, my DH has finally requested a pair of his own, which I just started last week with the only masculine looking yarn in the stash. And how is that artful afghan coming along? I'm at the point where each row takes forever.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Marriage is love.