banner

Thursday, May 19, 2005

In case you thought a fiber fanatic lived here, let me remind you with a few e-bay wins.

First is just a trinket, but a very cool one.

It's a spinning wheel oil lamp! I only bid because it was really cheap... and I won! It's about 12 inches high, and very cute.

But really what I was looking for (that brought me to e-bay to begin with) was for this:

You remember that, right? Judith's Lazy Kate, using a plastic basket, straight knitting needles and plastic bobbins.

Well, I went searching for those plastic bobbins, which I was told ran about a buck each. I searched for plastic bobbins and got a lot of sewing machine size, but found that adding "weaving" was just what I needed. That's what brought me to these:

25 antique weaver's bobbins that I got for about $15, including shipping.

Here's one of Fiona's bobbins getting to know her new friends! As you can see, they're just the right size!



And in other over-worked-postal-employee news, my qiviut for the QAL came. The top, slightly lighter colored fiber is a qiviut/alpaca/silk blend, and the rich brown beneath is 100% qiviut.

Okay, so it's not the most photogenic fiber. It doesn't have to be. It feels HEAVENLY. And incredibly lightweight - a 2 oz bag is as big as, if not bigger than, the average 4 oz bag of sheep's wool. So I feel better about the (insane) amount of money I spent on it, because it feels like it will go a lot farther than your average 4 oz. Right?

Well, even if that's not the case, one of the vendors (the one from whom I got the 100% stuff) Mountain Shadow Ranch obviously knew I might be feeling a little foolish for spending that kind of money, and so she gave me a little treat. A little treat that required customs papers.

That, my friends, is a free gram of vicuna. You thought qiviut was expensive? This fiber is nearly eight times as much. And I have fondled this ever so slightly, and I gotta tell you something: It's worth it. I'm never going to spin this. Years from now, when I'm feeling blue, I'm going to take this little baggy out and just gently stick my fingers in, and I'll know things can't be all that bad. It's that kind of soft, and the color of those rich, milk caramels you used to beg mom for in the grocery ....

Now, I think - I don't want to get my own hopes up, but I do think - I don't have anything planned all weekend. I will be human-male free, and will spend some quality time with my own little furry boys, and my wheel, and my knitting, and I might not even answer the phone.

6 Comments:

Blogger vi said...

just take pictures
vi

8:47 PM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

ok, i was literally salivating. no fair! VICUNA! rock on amie. i dont' blame you for not wanting to spin that. did you know that about that vicunas are so shy and nervous that they can scare themselves to death? just an interesting tidbit. and no, i highly doubt the one who contributed to your rainy day pick me up stash died to give you comfort, lol. oh my goodness, you lucky, lucky woman (ok, now i'm stupid, quivit comes from waht, musk ox?)

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vicuna huh? That was the tough word in today's "Jumble."

9:34 AM  
Blogger purlewe said...

you are footloose and fancy free this weekend? aw! have some fnu babe.

very cool and the vicuna. wowzers.

we have too many plans.. including a sidewalk sale.. so hope for no rain ok?

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are pretty much hardcore. The end.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

A weekend all to yourself. Ah bliss. I can hardly even remember those, since Emma's arrival 20 months ago.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.