banner

Friday, September 16, 2005

Almost exactly five years ago, I started my first full-time on-air job at a station in the beach area of Delaware. I was thrilled and excited, and the first day is mostly a blur.

The second day is not a blur. The second day, I met a friend.

She had been out the first day, recovering from a weekend accident in which she had destroyed her knee climbing on an elephant at the circus.

Yup. Climbing on an elephant. Just the sort of thing, I would come to know, that made "Only Sharon" an oft repeated phrase around the office.

In no time I had a rare sort of friend. Someone who had the same sort of dry humor with, someone I could talk to about anything, someone that I was so intuned with that we even dressed the same - accidentally. We had a running joke that she would call me on the on-air line while I was in the studio if she dropped something and couldn't pick it up because of her knee brace. It was only when I outsmarted her and called the main office line asking for her extension that Sharon gave up the battle to keep me running down the hall to do her bidding.

Management at that station (well, at every station I've been at) was hard on me. They constantly told me I wasn't good enough. Sharon constantly jumped to my defense, and when I earned the highest ratings in the region, no one was happier for me than Sharon.

Once, I was sitting in her office, venting about the misery that is the radio industry, and there she was, wearing a baby pink sweater, with her blond curls floating around her face, and her big blue eyes glowing, looking more cherubic than anyone on earth has a right. She altered her normally sexy, smokey, deep voice to a higher, childlike one, and muttered "fuck'em all" - both of us erupted into laughter.

That New Year's Eve, while Sharon was still in a wheelchair recovering from knee surgery, I went to First Night Dover with GB, Sharon's boyfriend Kyle, and Sharon's mother. Sharon's mother was never convinced that Kyle was good enough, even though he adored Sharon more than life, was funny, charming, and treated her like a queen. In fact, Pat spent most of the night trying to separate me and GB and push him towards Sharon. It didn't work. Even then, less than four months into their relationship, Kyle was immensely devoted.

You move a lot when you work in radio. Staying at a job two years is a long time, and you get used to saying goodbye to people. It's rare when you stay in contact with folks from your old jobs, but Sharon and I both made and effort to keep in touch, and though neither of us was quite as good at it as we would have liked, when we did speak, it was always as though no time had passed.

When Sharon left that job, Kyle followed her. First to Cape May NJ, and then, most recently, to Pittsfield Mass. The day Sharon moved in it was snowing, and bitterly cold, and as they were unloading the van, Kyle asked for Sharon's help getting one last box. Turns out that box was a tiny one, though, and he got down on one knee in the snow and asked her to marry him. She of course said yes.

They were married six weeks before GB and I, and I was blessed to be there. I was also blessed to be one of the first to find out that they were pregnant, due on Halloween 2005. We joked that the baby was destined to be wicked, being born to such insane folks as she and Kyle, and that the Halloween due date was just proof of that. It was somewhat unexpected, but an exciting time for them. Sharon's pregnancy wasn't at all easy, but she'd wanted children - no, she'd wanted KYLE'S children - for some time, and she was willing to do what it took to have a healthy baby. After several scares, including a pulled stomach muscle lifting a can out of the grocery bag (Only Sharon!) Sharon was put on bed rest.

Last night, Sharon's blood pressure skyrocketed, and she and Kyle went to the hospital. They had her stabilized, and Kyle headed home for the night. He was five minutes from home when he got the call. Baby Olivia Ruth was delivered, but had lost oxygen for long enough that it's not clear she'll survive. They were unable to revive Sharon.

Sharon

I don't know if I'll be around much next week.
Scan0003_EDIT3Scan0004_EDIT4Scan0002_EDIT2
Scan0007

56 Comments:

Blogger caitlyn said...

Oh my goodness...I am so sorry. I am thinking of you, of Kyle, and of Sharon and Kyle's families.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I know there are no words for us to "feel" your loss. But Oh My Goodness, you are in my thoughts. Maybe Sharon will live on through baby Olivia. We're here....

10:42 PM  
Blogger Teyani said...

my heart aches for you for Kyle and dear baby Olivia Ruth.
such a beauty-filled face Sharon has..
she has now touched the lives of people she did not ever meet -
thank you for this powerful reminder of our many precious days.

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm crying with you, baby sis.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I'm so sorry. You'll all be in my prayers.

11:40 PM  
Blogger StarKnits said...

reading your post i just got chills and tears to my eyes! i'm sooo sorry! my thoughts and prayers are with you! I'm also going to be thinking of and praying for Kyle and that sweet baby!

5:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, my dear one. I have chills, too. My thoughts are with you and Kyle and the little one. Thank you for sharing Sharon's story with us.

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes there are no words, or explanations. I am so sorry for your loss, for Kyle, Olivia Ruth and her family. I know the words sound empty, and I know they bring little comfort when faced with such a devastating loss, but I hope as time passes you will find comfort in the friendship you had and the impact she had on your life.

You take as much time as you need and know blogland will be here when you are ready.

*Hugs*

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, so sorry, Amie. My thoughts are with you, Kyle, and baby Olivia Ruth...

8:29 AM  
Blogger Amy Boogie said...

OMG -
Take care Amie. My thoughts are with you and Kyle and the babe.
**hugs**

10:41 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

Amie,

I am so very sorry.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Oh Amie, Dear heart, how very sad for you. Your story is such a moving tribute to your friend. Take what comfort you can from all the loving thoughts and words of those around you and from here. It is all such a mystery after all.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Oh, Amie, I'm so sorry. You know where to find me if you need a friendly internet face to talk to.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a tragic loss. I'll be thinking of Kyle and his daughter.

11:48 AM  
Blogger xmasberry said...

thinking of you all.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Many, many prayers are going out to you.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shitshitshitshitshitshitshit.

That's all I can think of to say. How hugely does life suck?

Crying with you -
lissa

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Amie. I'm so sorry, so very sorry to read this. It's hard to believe when things like this happen to real people you know. I'll be praying for you, and Kyle and the baby lots and lots while I hold my family closer this weekend. Please let us know if we can do anything for Kyle.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

I'm so sorry. It sounds like she was a beautiful person.

Praying for you, Kyle, and Olivia!

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sharon sounded like a wonderful person. My heart goes out to you, Kyle and Baby Olivia Ruth and you will all be in my thoughts.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Amie...
I'll keep all of you in my prayers,

1:28 PM  
Blogger KatyaR said...

Oh, honey, I'm so very, very sorry. What a horrible thing to happen.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Oh Amie. I'm so sorry. So, so sorry.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Agnes said...

I'm so sorry about your friends. Take care!

2:24 PM  
Blogger vi said...

amie dearest I am so sorry
I lost my best friend 9 years ago and I know how bad that hurts
my heart goes out to kyle and her parents and that little child
and of course to you my dear one

this has been a bad year for you honey
I am so sorry
vi

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ames-
What a beautiful tribute to Sharon! My memory of her is as we were all saying goodbyes after your wedding. Sharon was talking and joking her way slowly toward Kyle, who was watching and waiting for her. He said "Hurry up! Why am I always waiting for you?" She gave him a beautiful flirty smile and said "I'm worth it, aren't I?"
And she was.
I'm glad you had such a good friend.
Mom

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say. But I can give you a virtual hug. You'll all be in my thoughts.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you and your friends. You are all in my thoughts.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Amie, I am so very sorry for your loss, and Kyle's. Hug GB, hug Kyle, and take time for yourself.

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Amie, I am so terribly sorry. What a very terrible thing.

Alyx

8:17 PM  
Blogger Marfa's Mewsings said...

Sweets,
I am so moved by your tribute to your good pal & am very sorry for the loss of her - the planet is a sadder place w/out her.
XOXO
Martha

9:57 PM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

i'm so sorry, amie

10:06 PM  
Blogger --Deb said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! That is just SO unfair on so many levels. Sorry, sorry, sorry . . .

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Oh, Amie, I am so sorry.

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry, Amie. Thinking of you...(((hugs)))

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are no words to ease this kind of pain.

It seems that the earth was blessed with an Angel who was taken too soon, but who will no doubt live on in many, many hearts.

My prayers and thoughts are with you all.

Cathy

11:37 PM  
Blogger Tori said...

I'm so sorry! Thank you for giving us a glimpse of what a wonderful spirited woman Sharon was. I wish you and the rest of Sharon's family love and peace during this difficult time.

3:33 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Oh God. I'm so sorry Amie. There are no words.

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hugs*

7:19 AM  
Blogger Jensgalore said...

I am speechless and so sad for all of you who loved her. My thoughts are with you.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Amie, my thoughts are with you and with Kyle and baby Olivia Ruth. I hope that Sharon's spirit will live on in all of you.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Margot said...

So sorry, Amie. hwat a shock! I don't even know her, but you made me cry. It's so hard to lose a friend. Sending lots of love to you, Kyle and Olivia.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MY thoughts and prayers are with you and their family!

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetie... hugs to you. Prayers to help your dear friend and her baby on her way.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm very sorry to hear of the lose of your good friend.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

I am so so sorry for your loss. I hope that time will bring you some semblance of peace, and I will keep you in my thoughts.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Lanea said...

Oh no, that's so terrible. My thoughts are with you and with her husband and baby and family. How very sad.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how utterly heartwrenching. my thoughts and prayers are with you, kyle and little olivia. what a wonderful tribute to your friend.

3:51 PM  
Blogger CrazyFiberLady said...

Oh my goodness. I'm so terribly sorry. What a touching tribute to a wonderful life cut far too short. My prayers are with you, Kyle and Olivia.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss of your very dear friend. :(

6:33 PM  
Blogger Micky said...

I am so sorry for your loss and Kyle's. Good thoughts and wishes go out to you all.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Carolyn B. said...

Although I don't really know you or the dearness of your friend who you've lost, my heart is breaking for you. She sounds like a rare treasure in your life. Best wishes to you, her husband, and their child.

1:11 PM  
Blogger IndigoMuse said...

What sad news, Amie. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I'll keep your friend's family and you in my prayers. 2005 has certainly been a tough year.

Tanya

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have my sympathy, what a terrible loss! I am sure that her husband feels, or will feel when the greif has mellowed, that he was a fortunate person to have known her. If there is any hope in this sad story it is that her cherished baby may live on and thrive to become a living tribute to her mothers love. best wishes peggy

8:50 PM  
Blogger bySarah said...

I am so sorry. Please let me know if there is any way I can be of comfort to you.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.