banner

Friday, September 30, 2005

AWNSing

Going along with my new determination that Autumn Will Not Suck, I had a pleasant surprise in the yarn department.

I've mentioned before my search for guy colors of sock yarn. And most of us know, most men are not wildly adventurous when it comes to their socks, which does not make for particularly interesting knitting. So I pushed the limits and bought GB a mild tweedy yarn - light blue, navy, and dark green.

ball

See? Not especially exciting. Nice. Handsome even. But mostly just... Tweedy.

But I sucked it up because my husband is very, very, cute, and so I went to work.

And then I saw this

knit

The blues and the green all blend together, and suddenly it's not tweedy, it's the ocean at night. It's a hidden river in a forest. It's a midnight stream.

The photo isn't capturing it properly. It's lovely. I'm quite tempted to make the sock too small and put lace in it or something, but then there's that very, very, cute husband to answer to, so I suppose I'll be good and knit a manly sock. Maybe even two. (he really is very, very, cute)

I'll spend this weekend working the "Knitting Party" at AC Moore, then heading down to the VA Fall Fiber Fest. I had wanted to enter some things in the arts competition, but the deadline occurred when I was in Boston. And I'm considering some additional blog adaptions, which I will investigate more in the coming days, since I now have (whooHOOO!) DSL at home, as of way-the-heck-past-my-bedtime last night. So Autumn Will continue to Not Suck.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SP,

After you knit the 2nd sock and there's some yarn left over how about a wooly warmer. It'd make for nice matching 3 piece ensemble.

@----}-------
GB

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sock yarn is gorgeous - congrats on getting DSL!

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love when you can take something that looks totally innocuous and it blends into a symphony of colors that you had no idea were there. Beautiful sock. And may your autumn continue to cherish you.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Beautiful sock yarn - he'll love them. Which day are you going to Montpelier for the fiber festival? I'll be there on Sunday with my mom and kids.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the colorway, I think you're right about it being great for a guy! I'm sure your very, very cute DH will love it. ;)

4:20 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Or, after his socks are done, you could just happen to be back at the yarn store, and another skein could happen to fall into your basket and accidentally turn into lacy socks in your size! That way you and GB wouldn't be matchy-matchy, but have complimentary feet...

4:32 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

What a beautiful colorway!

Blessings sent your way...

5:13 PM  
Blogger Marfa's Mewsings said...

Gorgeous socks for the Big Dude. What's the yarn?
Have a great time on Sunday & then tell us about it.
XOXO
Martha

6:26 PM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

you're right, that colorway is gorgeous! and tell GB he doesn't want WOOL there! either that, or he's scottish!

10:25 PM  
Blogger erica said...

I have to 2nd, 3rd and 4th, etc the above comments about the sock yarn. It's beautiful. Sometimes those "boring" guy sock colors are so wonderful, much more wonderful than you imagined.

This autumn will be wonderful and we'll all try to do our best not to let it suck for you.

11:50 PM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

amie, my son hasn't been diagnosed with learning disabilities. as long as he was in the foster care system, and was analyzed every way but sunday, we would know if he did. he truly is not applying himself. sigh. and he admitted as much when we confronted him about it last night. gotta love this age. sigh.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Amy Boogie said...

Yup - I love that colorway - husbeast might even wear those - what brand is it? If you don't mind me asking. This autumn will not suck - it will be a spectacular autumn.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.