banner

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

This will be my third attempt at this post. Once yesterday, when I didn't know that a certain function on a Mac will delete what you have written and is undoable. Once today when I had the whole thing done and as I was reaching for "publish" my computer at work farted and had to be rebooted. And now.

Please save your applause for the end.

I came down with poison ivy last week sometime - I'm calling it poison ivy because when I had an appointment with my brilliant endocrinoligist (he of the "bdefe bdefe leddy" fame) he looked at it and said I shouldn't walk the dog in the yard* wearing flip flops anymore. We suspect that some poison ivy got mulched in a recent law-mowing incident and Oscar rolled in it and brought it to me.

I've never had poison ivy before, unless you count an unidentified but really disgusting rash that I got after petting a wild pony on Chincoteague Island when I was twelve. My parents were pleased it was just a rash that came home with me, since I'm the type that brings home animals frequently. And it was a very cute, sweet pony who would have been very happy living with me, I know.

Nevertheless, right now I have a rash on my toes and my left wrist. A friend suggested jewelweed, which I'd never heard of (possibly because of lack of exposure to poison ivy to begin with) and I made a tea-like poultice that helped matters a great deal.

Just in time for me to have stomach issues Monday that actually brought me home from work early. Not crippling issues by any stretch, just enough for me to chose digging my favorite green bathrobe out of the laundry pile and setting up on the couch with my (patent pending) personal stomach warmer with soothing vibrations option.
100_0876

I'm feeling much better now, though I'm not sure I'm up for a super long day, which will be required if I go to my guild meeting tonight. The couch is still sounding pretty good right about now.

But I must say I found it sweet how many of you think I should blow off all obligations to knit.

The problem of course is that the responsibilities I was blowing off to knit the "Are They Striped" socks was actually knitting. So basically, it's like I'm on a diet that allows me to eat barbecue potato chips, but I won't eat them, I want to eat Salt-and-vinegar chips.

I know. My life is so hard.


* Am I the only knit-blogger who is incapable of typing Y-A-R-D without first typing Y-A-R-N at least twice?

10 Comments:

Blogger erica said...

Poison ivy, stomach problems?? Sounds like you just want to stay home and knit. I'm kidding, mostly. :) Of course, only knit what you want and not your obligatory knitting.

I have one of those personal stomach warmers too. Mine even has an involuntary massager. It works great for monthly girl pains.

Hope you feel better soon.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Poison ivy is absolutely the pits! My hubby and I both react wonderfully to it--and manage to share it with each other entirely too easily. Wish I had words of wisdom for you. We just call his dermatologist and get some cortisone. Feel better soon!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

You can sing that "Poison Ivy" song while you knit!

Oh. Sorry. Now I'm singing it too.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon.

8:21 PM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

gee, does this mean i get to sing it with you? i have the same thing, only i'm highly allergic, so the one tiny itty bitty spot i had sunday night (from my yard as well, sigh) is now all over my body, and oozing,a nd gross. and i'm on massive steroids which upset my stomach to the point of heartburn, and little to no appetite. i know i need to lose weight, but not like this!

hope you get over that and your tummy troubles soon.

knit if you wanna, other wise, skip it. there's no "diet" for that (i'm still knitting with wool, lol, just being careful to keep it away from the oogy arm)

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Shea said...

I'm pretty lucky with the Poison Ivy thing... I can walk through it all day long and be just fine... but let me come in contact with the roots and it's a whole other ball game! Sorry to hear you're feeling so icky! Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon!

Shea

12:11 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

Yeah, I wonder if that's what happened - the mower got to some roots or something? I can't imagine having made it this far with no issues and have it suddenly take me down now, even if allergies do change as you age....

7:45 AM  
Blogger Teri S. said...

I hope you get over your poison ivy soon; it doesn't sound like fun. I don't spell yarn for yard, but I do catch myself spelling yarn as yearn. Do you think I'm yearning for yarn?

7:56 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

Glad that your friend suggested the jewelweed - sounds as though you have some very special pals ^..^
The green robe & your couch & your personal assistant sound like cool tools for feeling better.
And I do hope you are feeling better.
XOXO
Martha

5:34 PM  
Blogger Nyxxie said...

I type yarn every time I try to tpye yard just did it there too! LOL I have a group of knitters and I sent out a letter to them and put yarn not yard there too!

5:20 PM  
Blogger vi said...

I grow jewelweed by the ton here amie.......
want to come and visit?
vi

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.