banner

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Blonde Roots

When you're on the radio, people always tell you that you look different than they expected. In fact, when I worked with Sharon, if the two of us were out, they would always think she was me and I was her. They always thought she would be taller, with dark hair. They always thought I was blonde. Every station I've worked at the listeners have always said "huh. I thought you'd be blonde."

I'm not sure if they meant that well or not.

At one of those stations, the one in the snow-belt of New York State, I worked part-time at a bookstore. I worked there for months without meeting the general manager, though she heard me on the radio every morning. That winter, I learned that the habit of locking the car door automatically, which is an understandable habit to get into when you grow up in the Baltimore area, and the process of starting your car to warm up and going back inside where it's above zero degrees, do not mix. In a three week time period, my morning partner had to drive to my house, get my spare car key, and come rescue me (ahem) THREE TIMES. One of these times I had to call the bookstore to tell them I was running late and the general manager answered the phone. When I explained what happened she laughed and said "Oh, for crying out loud, are you SURE you don't have blonde roots under that red hair???"

That time I'm pretty sure she didn't mean it in the best sense.

I was reminded of that today when I heard her voice echoing in my mind over something I did. I bought a book from Amazon - the NaNoWriMo book - and there's that free shipping thing that forces you at gunpoint to buy something else too, because it's cheaper to spend $26 than $14. So anyway, I had just been listening to the radio, and they were playing Gary Allan "Nothin' On But the Radio" and I like that song, and I really like Gary Allan, so I tossed the album See If I Care in my cart. Cuz it's cheaper that way. You know.

So the CD arrived and I looked at it. And why the picture of the CD on the website didn't look familiar, but the actual CD did look familiar, I don't know. But I thought, wait. do I have this already?....

Naaahhhhh...
and I ripped off the plastic.

Then I got in my car this morning and Gary Allan's See If I Care fell into my lap. Literally. Yup, I already had it.

And now I have two.

Blonde roots, I tell ya.

So here's what I'm thinking. I promise I have not copied this CD. I have paid for it honestly (twice, in fact). So if you are interested in Gary Allan's See If I Care drop me an e-mail - I'll pay for shipping, you paypal me the $14 that Amazon charges, thereby saving you $4 or $12 shipping, depending on how you shop. Let me know.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here at 1 AM, wishing I had some pineapple juice since I'm pretty sure we already have scotch and then I could make a Dirty Sock. It might help me sleep.

Oh, you didn't know?

SallyJo (of the comments) decided that she wanted to knit bright yellow socks. For whatever reason, that's what she wanted, and I like SallyJo, and I want to make her happy, and I was having a nasty day at work, so I set about Monday afternoon playing on the web looking for bright yellow sock yarn for SallyJo, which is actually significantly more challenging than one would expect. However, in the process of typing in "Yellow Sock" into google, I discovered this and this. And so of course, in my duty to my friend, I mentioned these options to her (perhaps if she has enough Yellow Socks she won't feel the need to knit anymore yellow socks?) She told me that she had read a book that suggested trying to determine what you've given to the world each day, and perhaps what she gave to the world was the inspiration to search for knitting inspired alcoholic beverages.

There are worse things to give to the world.

And that Dirty Sock might help, since I'm still having those weird dreams, three weeks straight now, and have added to my band of merry neuroses hearing the song Every Rose Has It's Thorn in certain rooms. (remember that, Jen?) The refrain of it, to be specific, if that makes me slightly less crazy. For some reason, when I walk into my bedroom, I hear that song in my head. When I stayed in the B&B with Jen at the FFF, I heard it in the bathroom. And I hear it in the studio at work. But it's the bedroom that's most bothersome, because it's keeping me awake! I suppose it's better than the freaky dream option, but a gal's gotta sleep sometime, right?

It would seem that while SallyJo's gift to the world is knitting inspired alcoholic beverages, mine is to make the rest of you feel sane.

You're welcome.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yellow socks... Blonde roots...

Correllation????

4:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SP,

Blonde roots or not.. I love you anyway!

GB

4:08 AM  
Blogger Marfa's Mewsings said...

Hmmm...do yellow socks tie in w/the song "I'm walking on sunshine (oh yeah!)?"
Look out, she's being silly in the morning!
XOXO
Martha

8:47 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I'm sorry, what does making the rest of us feel sane have to do with putting the song, "Every Rose Has its Thorn" in our heads?

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Every Rose" is an ear worm that you must be terribly susceptible to. Like I am to "Walking on Sunshine". Is that the true meaning of the yellow socks? I'm being driven by some horrid earworm to change my wardrobe, my style, my very way of being?
Yikes.
sallyjo

12:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So, back to the yellow socks... Elann has nice yellow sock yarn. There. As for the rest of the discussion, thanks so much for making me sing Walking on Sunshine for the rest of the day!

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually right now I think I hear bagpipes in every room of my house as Sophie's been BLARING the video we made on Saturday... I swear if I hear "The Drunken Piper" one more time I'm going to SCREAM!! See there it is again.... AIeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Shea

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It could be worse... It could be the Lambchop song. You know, the one that never ends. It goes on and on my friends.............

4:03 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Turns out Knit Picks Palette in Yellow is also, um, Yellow. Very.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

Opal is coming out with some solids, and there are some great colors, including a very yellow yellow. That's what we're looking for...

12:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, Amiegirl! *happy wave*

I love reading you! You sound great, and thanks for that Yellow Sock = sleep aid tip. Good to know.

You just give and give... Clearly I have some catching up to do on the land of Amie.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.