banner

Monday, October 31, 2005

The Secret's Out!

Since my husband is on a plane somewhere (safely) over the ocean right now, far away from internet access to this blog, I can tell you a little story without ruining a surprise.

See, he's been in Iraq for the past 100 days. So everything I went through, he had to go through by e-mail. It was not an easy summer! For security reasons (mine, and national) we didn't want to be too open about his absence, but his plane lands in DC this afternoon, so right now I should be cleaning the house so there's a path for him to walk when he gets home. I'll go to pick him up at the airport, then we're taking a little time together for a few days, and then I'm off to the KR Retreat, which will allow him some time with his son alone, so it's very good timing.

I decided I wanted to stock the fridge for his return home, and so I've baked him a loaf of my jalapeno bread that he likes so much, and bought him some good chili that will stay well in the fridge for a few days, and I'd been hoping to get him a case of his favorite beer. Well, that favorite beer is tough to find, since it's not sold further north than here. Fortunately, here isn't further north than here, so it is available, if you're willing to do a search. Which for beer, I am not, but for my husband, I am.

So I called several liquor stores, and found one last week that is very close to work. When I asked "Do you have Shiner Bock?" they said "Yup!" and so I went in on my lunch break.... and couldn't find any. So I asked someone, who said "Yup, we've got it, the truck's coming in this afternoon."

Huh.

See, to me, that doesn't mean they have it, what with the truck's impending arrival still being a future event and all. So I said "if I call you tomorrow and ask if you have this beer, will you lie to me then too?"

He said "It wasn't a lie, I have no reason to lie to you."

I looked at my basket of Woodchuck and Scotch and said "I beg to differ on that."

By the time I got back to the office, I had hatched a plan, though.

If AC can manipulate the bosses into buying him a personal air conditioning unit, special toilet paper, and pretty much anything else he wants in the office, fine. But if he thinks he's the only one capable of a little manipulation in our office he's just plain wrong.

I worked up some watery eyes, walked into the icebox he calls the studio and said "I don't know what to do all I want is to buy this beer for my husband who's been overseas serving our country for so long and I miss him and I just want to get his favorite beer and they lied and told me they had it when they didn't and it's so hard to find this beer and I know there's a place in [your hometown] that sells it but I don't know how to get there and can you believe this horrible liquor store lied to me what am I going to do????"

In no time, AC was calling around and found a store in his hometown that sold and had it in stock, and he bought me a case on his way home from work that night. It was sitting under my desk the next morning (though he did insist that I send an e-mail to the boss to make sure it was fine that the exchange took place. I instead sent an e-mail explaining that we were not running a black market beer ring but if we were I'd cut him in on the profits if he kept his mouth shut. He agreed). The liquor store clerk even gave us a discount because AC mentioned that it was for someone over seas...

HA.

Well, that story may not be much, but it's gonna have to hold you. I'll be back next week with pictures (of the RETREAT, you sicko) but otherwise I'll be out of town without internet access.

For today, I'm putting Halloween movies in the DVD player and going through my stash for my annual Fright Fest (as in "Holy Hell how can I have all this yarn??") to decide what goes to the KR Swap Table.

Happy Halloween!!!!


(and this is just for Shelia:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours Spent Knitting: 16
Rows Completed (of 222): 32
Estimated Time of Completion: 111 hours

12 Comments:

Blogger Shelia said...

Oh, I love seeing this shawl - it was probably getting a complex about not being seen on the blog just because other, more important projects have taken center stage. Anyway, thanks for the update! (and looking forward to seing you in 4 days)

10:41 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Oh, I'm glad to hear he's back!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Amy Boogie said...

YAY! I'm glad the man will be home! I hope you have a great reunion :)

1:43 PM  
Blogger Margot said...

*gasp* Secrets galore!

Happy homecoming to your hubby, so very very glad he is home safe. Have fun with DH and at the retreat!

2:39 PM  
Blogger --Deb said...

Aw, that was a NICE story! I'm so glad your husband's on his way home!!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a great story! What a full week you're having, too.

I guess we won't have to sit outside the back door after all, but I hope we get a chance to hang out anyway!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oooh - lucky you! Have a great time with your hubby - lord knows you deserve it! My dad loves him some Shiner too, and has to buy several cases each time he visits me because they don't sell it up north.

9:14 PM  
Blogger vi said...

I am so glad he is on the way home amie
have a wonderful homecoming you two..
hihi ken
vi

1:56 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

I'm glad he's safely on his way home, Amie!

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For future reference, Whole Foods Markets has Shiner Bock. ( In Arlington VA anyway.)

9:50 AM  
Blogger Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

Great story! Sometimes you just gotta have that back-up plan. Good work.

9:21 AM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

goodness, you must be having one heck of a reunion. i haven't seen you post all week!

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.