banner

Thursday, February 09, 2006

I have decided that my fiber storage needs to move. Right now it's in a spare room, set up with a tv/vcr/dvd combo so I can spin and watch my own movies while the boys are watching stupid things. But now that Delphine is here, there needs to be more space for her in there. (I think it's fair to ask Fiona and Delphine share a room. I considered moving GB in with Oscar, but then it got cold again, and GB gives off warmth that I'm just not willing to pass on to the dog. Oscar has his own little fur coat. Besides, I think the chance of me convincing GB that I need two rooms devoted to my fiber play is pretty much null and void. So Fiona and Delphine will room together.)

So the tubs that are holding my fiber now need to go elsewhere, so I think they'll move in with Oscar. Since that means lifting the tubs up over an old couch without squashing any cats or dogs, takes more strength than I have (it's an awful lot of fiber) but I can move the tubs slllooooowwwly down the hall to the living room where we only had one squish scare (turns out it was a ball of grey yarn, and not actually Trevor I dropped the tub on, for which both Trevor and I are exceedingly grateful.) GB will help with the heavy lifting when he gets home (maybe this weekend some time? Ask me how much I love our government. Better yet, ask them, they've heard me explain it many times on my phone lines)

I did come up with a brilliant idea for reorganizing them, though. See, l had four tubs (with lots of spillover that I think we can all just agree to ignore for the purposes of this conversation) organized by Raw Fleece, Roving, Winter Yarns, and Sock & Summer Yarns. And then I straightened out the closets, discovered that there was a tub in there that could be emptied (clothing donated) and that gave me an extra tub. So that tub has been designated as "Current Projects" tub. That is, the yarn and fiber for the very next projects I intend to knit or spin go in there. This way I don't need to enlist the help of any muscle men until I've finished some of my current projects (and believe me, the ADD extends far beyond socks and mittens, I just didn't show you any of those things...) and they tub contents need to be readjusted again. And that could be ages. (as my family would say, "Hey, lint!"*)

During all that heavy lifting, I took frequent breaks to spin more of this

Same stuff I showed you yesterday, but the color is more true in this picture. It's a lovely rich green, albeit very, very, dark.

I also got a lovely card in the mail from a special someone

(pay no attention to the sock behind the card. It was started last night. I intend to finish it this weekend. Honest.)

Then I had to run get something to eat, so I went to the drive-through, because then Oscar gets to come, and that makes him very happy. Usually he gets ignored, but today the guy handing me my food said "hey, cute dog". Oscar and I both agreed.

Cute and well-behaved, because I sat the food on the seat with him, and he sniffed at the bag once but otherwise ignored it.

~~~~~~

For those of you who are furiously knitting socks (although, frankly, a tad slow on the reporting today, gang, have we petered out?) someone had a great idea to battle second sock syndrome. Check it out.

~~~~~~

*Sometime ago, we had an incident in which GB left for a business trip after firmly shutting the clothes-dryer door... with Trevor inside. This was discovered by me about eight hours later when I came home from work and wasn't greeted at the door by as many cats as I expected. After yelling his name around the house, I got close to the dryer and heard him start to cry, at which point I promptly rescued him. He was fine, just a bit shaken up. But we have the hope that he curled up in there and fell asleep and didn't notice anything was amiss until he heard me calling him. The family joke is that he would start to panic and worry that he was trapped, and then be distracted by something else in the dryer that he could play with. Hence, "hey, lint!" as a family phrase for one's short attention span. Not that I'm guilty of that mys---

13 Comments:

Blogger erica said...

Wow, you have a lot of fiber/yarn. It took me taking it out of the bins and out in the open and a student budget to quickly stop the stash enhancement. I agree Fiona and Delphine can certainly bunk together. They can talk spinning all night and not bother you. :)

8:22 PM  
Blogger Coleen said...

Hi Amie!
I saw you on Eunny's blog too. Thanks so much for saying hi! I would love to get together and knit sometime! I've actually been talking to Lolly about getting together too - she's in Columbia as well. Maybe we could all hook up for coffee and stitches sometime.
By the way... I liked looking at your blog. It's nice to know that someone else has many projects on the needles at the same time, like me....

8:50 PM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

hey, woman, maybe everybody is working on "training" for the olympics tomorrow? there's over 3300 of them, ya know! me, i'm still socking away on my first jaywalker. i'm to the foot now.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Jen Hagan said...

Okay, I finally finished A SOCK started in 2006. Gosh. I'll send you a pic in email. I am wearing them right now--it's cold here!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Kim in Oregon said...

I once took Cody (dog) through the drive through at the Wendy's, and the window server person handed him a chicken nugget! He was thrilled, I was shocked!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Kim in Oregon said...

I once took Cody (dog) through the drive through at the Wendy's, and the window server person handed him a chicken nugget! He was thrilled, I was shocked!

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I constantly worry about one my kids shutting a cat in the dryer (I have four cats; two kids)! I'm glad to know yours survived the turmoil. :)

10:38 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I haven't reported my usual semi-weekly sock because I was so sick with the flu that--get this--I didn't knit for 5 days straight. I know. Someone call the doctor, right? But all is better. I cast-on for--and badly screwed up already--a Log Cabin Sock from Handknit Holidays last night. Screw-up aside, with these chunky socks, I should be able to catch up to my old pace in no time!

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have one sock to report - I finished a pair yesterday, but technically, only one counts for 2006.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Oscar is stunning! I have never knit socks!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Marfa's Mewsings said...

Sweets,
Congrats on the work w/the fibers & yarns & for redoing the tub stash.
It's cool to lay one's hands/paws on the yarns & fibers & remind ourselves of the goodies that await us.
Hugs to you & the guys plus the stash & the wheels.
XOXO

6:07 PM  
Blogger vi said...

ok SSS, if you actually want a pair....
you can start the first sock.....get to the really interesting part....but that asside....start the second one... finish the second one and then......go back to the first one...
so the second one isn't really second at all.....
see there is actually NO OFFICAL second sock

vi

8:39 PM  
Blogger AmyP said...

Hi Amie - thanks for the comment on the Knitting Amy's blog. You need to go here (http://www.ringsurf.com/netring?action=addform&ring=knitting_amy) and sign up. Paste the code you're given into your blog and then I'll be able to approve you!

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.