banner

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

3 If By Land, 6 If By Sea!

Soapy the Soap Turtle
A Pattern By Me!
(once this is put on the internet, copyright laws legally apply. Please respect them - you may not profit from this pattern or in any way represent it as your own without my express written permission. In other words, yada yada yada.)

100_1452

Materials: Small amounts of Sugar 'n' Cream cotton - less than 150 yds Main Color (MC) and less than 50 yds Accent Color (AC)
I would estimate three turtles could be made from each MC ball.

For the original Soapy, I double stranded Key Lime Pie (variegated) and Hot Green for the shell (MC), only because that's how I got the color I wanted, and used a single strand of Sage Green for the feet, tail, and head (AC).

Appropriate needles for knitting small circumferences and i-cord in the round - gauge is unimportant, just so long as you like the fabric. I used a set of 4 DPNs - the increases and decreases work out easily this way.

*Pop Quiz!*
Do you want a Box/Land Turtle or a Sea Turtle?
The original Soapy is a Sea Turtle - because I didn't want him to drown! If you want a Land Turtle, though, do the increases in the parentheses - you'll get a taller, rounder shell. The decreases are done the same for both "breeds".
~~~~~~~~
SHELL:

With MC, CO 3 stitches in the round

Round 1: Increase once into each stitch (6 stitches total)

Round 2: Increase (3) 6 times evenly around

Repeat Round 2 until you have 60 stitches total

Purl One Round

BO 10 Stitches

Purl 50 stitches

CO 10 Stitches

Returning to Knit, decrease 6 stitches evenly around until 12 stitches remain

Thread yarn through and pull tight.

HEAD: Uses AC
CO 9 stitches in the round

Knit around until neck measures about 1.5 inches

Increase 3 stitches evenly for two rounds (15 stitches total)

Knit 3 rounds

Decrease 6 stitches evenly for two rounds (3 stitches remain)

Pull yarn through and pull tight

(Option: Duplicate stitch eyes and a tiny smile on your Soapy's face!)

FRONT LEGS: Uses AC
About half an inch from opening on shell, PU 5 stitches

Rows 1 - 6: K, P, K, P, K (Seed Stitch)

Decrease 1 stitch at the beginning of each row for four rows, continuing in Seed pattern, 1 stitch remains

Repeat on the other side

TAIL: Uses AC
At center of shell's closed end, PU 2 stitches

Work i-cord for 4 rows

BO

BACK LEGS: Uses AC (optional - the original Soapy didn't have them)
About half an inch from tail on shell, PU 3 stitches

Rows 1 - 4: K, P, K

Decrease 1 stitch at each of next two rows, continuing in Seed Stitch, 1 stitch remains

BO

Finishing:
Sew head to "lip" at top of opening, weave in ends, stuff with homemade soap and have fun in the bath!

20 Comments:

Blogger laura said...

Fabulous!

4:08 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Adorable!!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Jocele said...

Awesome. This pattern made my day. Thanks.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yay! Thank you!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

so cute! and thanks for sharing the pattern!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Miss Knotty said...

Very, very clever pattern! :) I may try this in all my random leftover S&C bits - might be fun to get a totally random little turtleguy. :)

Very cute pattern!

-The Whimsy

1:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the pattern. I think my son would love this!

6:31 AM  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

Cute critter.

Congratulations on the mention of the Spinning Wheel web ring and your blog in the Spring Spin-Off!

9:48 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Very cute! (And I finished another sock)

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amie and Friends...
I go a flyer in the mail for JoAnn Stores...
There is a Yard Caddy on Sale - it looks pretty cool!

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82324&PRODID=130563

Nancy from PA

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute, and turtles are my favorites! Thanks. Linda

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is very cute!!! I'll be making him for sure! Thanks for sharing the pattern!

2:29 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Soapy is even cuter in person! I just made him tonight. Took just about 3 hours. So cute!

8:50 PM  
Blogger somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

I found your little turtle via TurtleGirl76. I have lots of S'n'C in my stash, and Soapy will make a really cool baby gift! Thank you for sharing the pattern!
=:8
http://www.somebunnyslove.com

3:52 PM  
Blogger PoppyBoutillier said...

thanks so much for this fantastic pattern! the turtles were a hit at the baby shower i went to this weekend.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I'm posting a link to your pattern on my blog. I knit Soapy at a smaller gauge and sewed him shut to make a stuffed animal. Pics on my blog. Thank you for the terrific pattern. I heard about it from TurtleGirl76 on the Knitty Coffeeshop in spring of 2006.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Pat Denson said...

I would love to use this pattern for making birthday gifts for my great-grandchildren. This is something they can use and enjoy playing with during their bath.
Thanks
Pat
patsknittedstuff@blogspot.com

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting your pattern. I saw it on Ravelry. My daughter loves turtles and so now the whole family does too. How awesome to use a turtle for your soap. I know she'll be tickled with this.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really wish I could knit! I'll have to ask my mom to knit one for my kids. :D

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love this turtle, I can't wait to make one for my niece
Thank you!

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.