banner

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Holy Cow, She Knit a Sock!


This will get washed and lightly blocked tonight, then popped in the mail tomorrow. My thought is that having a sock up at Crazy For Ewe before I teach there next week might get a few more students in. The yarn is Marks & Katten Clown, a cotton/wool blend and it's knit toe-up (of course). I rather like how the stripes worked out for the heel flap area.


So there. Add another to the total for me, okay?

Speaking of which, the person who reports to me the two-thousandth sock knit is looking to get quite a little haul. They'll win handspun sock yarn from me, some Koigu, some handpaint, and more handspun... that's a lucky knitter who'll be set for sock yarn for sometime. Heck, even the person who knits sock 1763 will get a little gift from It Girl, who has just a wicked enough sense of humor to make me have to remember that number as I keep the tally (I mean, even I can remember 2000, but she's making me work for this arbitrary number!) (If you'd like to make a donation to the lucky knitter, just let me know! I'm taking things here, then begrudgingly packing them up into a care package for the winner!)

I am thrilled to report that Coleen was the reporter of the one-thousandth sock! All the comments on my blog are sent automatically to my e-mail, and the e-mail automatically sorts these by their incoming time, so that's the order in which I read them. And Coleen's second Goose Sock, knit in Stork yarn (I get a kick out of the aviary theme) was the one thousandth reported. I'm thrilled to report this because Coleen is a new friend in the real world, and a fantastic cool chick. And I'm doubly thrilled because I live near her, so I'm gonna get to see the gorgeous yarn Amy sends her. So she's lucky to win, I'm lucky to see the yarn she wins, and I'm lucky to know her, too.

~~~~~~~~

GB was home for almost thirty hours this week, and we saw the new Harrison Ford movie "Firewall" which both of us agreed was one of the better action movies we've seen in quite a while. It's not making any deep political commentary, it's not high art, but it was a good movie. Lots of suspense, full enough of action and big booms GB was thoroughly entertained, but enough character development that I didn't feel like it was one long special effect.

Then today I got my commentary fix (I love commentaries. I will watch a movie three times in a row if there are two commentaries on the DVD) and watched the commentaries for both Walk the Line and Rent. Both commentaries were really good! The director for Walk the Line looks at performances the same way I do, and it was neat to hear his take on things put in a way that took me back to my theatre days. And Rent - well, it would be hard for me not to love that, and to hear their takes on things... just fascinating stuff.

~~~~~~~~

And one last shot, a little purse that's a store sample. It's a funky new polyester yarn that people kept saying looked beaded, but is actually a simple polyester cord wrapped randomly and sporatically with colored thread. Tricky to knit with because it was so stiff, but it makes a cute purse (which isn't lying right because it hasn't been blocked - it'll get stuffed and hang on a wall, I'm not concerned)


No pattern, I made it up as I went along when I was working at the store one day, and I eyeballed it to end up with literally three inches left in the ball. (You can't tell from the photo, but there's a bobble on the front of the bag that serves as the button, and the eyelet on the front which the ribbon is threaded through goes around that as a closure.)

Okay, Delphine and I are off to play for the weekend - have a good one!

13 Comments:

Blogger Coleen said...

Have a terrific weekend Amie!

And I am so excited about being the 1000th sock of 2006! I can't wait to see the yarn and I will definitely show it to you! I'm lucky to know you too!

1:13 AM  
Blogger aija said...

So many socks already! :) I love the bobble closure, btw too.

2:22 AM  
Blogger sheep#100 said...

Count two more pairs of socks from trek!

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add 2 more socks to the tally. I just finished a pair last night.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The little purse looks nice - I wish I had a job where I could play with yarn (whine, whine).
If you want good movie commentaries, try "Brother Bear" with the commentary by the mooses, Bob and Doug McKenzie.
And hey! I finished a sock! It's beautiful! And my hands are saying NO KNITTING! So, it's a solo.
sallyjo

12:48 PM  
Blogger ~Jody said...

I love those socks! And while we're talking about socks...
Add another pair - I learned to make thong socks...perfect for flip flops!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Jensgalore said...

Gorgeous sock. My favorite color combination!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

:-) put me down for one pair of jaywalkers and a pair of something else I can't remember and am too lazy to look up right now.

I'm digging on your happy feet. I've got some orange/pink/something stripey goodness to knit into some socks soon that I'm really looking forward to wearing.

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amie,
Please add 4 more socks to the count.
new2kntting@KRF

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just finished another pair for the total.
Patti

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finished two socks! (and cast on for two more pair...)

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What time is the Borders meeting and where is the Borders? I may try to make it tonight.

5:22 PM  
Blogger laura said...

Hey! Thanks for the recommendation on the Aran Painter, I have been playing with the demo for 2 hours now...I think I'll buy it once I get a job.

I emailed you about Border's. I never got what time. I'll catch it next time around! Look forward to seeing you next Monday at Panera! :)

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.