banner

Monday, August 07, 2006

A Horse of a Different Color

Somewhere over the rainbow, a little girl doesn't feel very well.

She has a sister, and a mommy, and a daddy, and hundreds of friends who all love her very much, but still, she doesn't feel well.

And at three years old, she doesn't understand why. She doesn't understand that a cancer is attacking her blood, and that the chemo that makes her feel so horrible is needed to save her life.

All she really knows is that she loves to watch The Wizard of Oz over and over and over again, and she names her favorite stuffed animal "Toto" so she can take a little bit of that movie with her everywhere.

You could see why she might want to do that, right? Why she might relate to a young girl who's thrown into a scary world with a few friends to help her along the way?

I could.

And when Toto went missing one day (as toys of little girls are wont to do) I decided she needed a new friend. I couldn't replace the old one, of course, but I could make something soft and cuddly and warm and filled with love and prayers.

So I did.

And I'm told the first thing she said when she saw it (before being told his name) was "Wow! That is a great Toto!"

I started this thinking of Samantha
- and discovered after the fact that purple is her favorite color (whew!). But as I worked, I realized I wanted to do more. So you can make Toto, Too!

If you purchase the pattern, I'll donate a dollar to Samantha's Light the Night team. I'll do that no matter how few or many patterns sell. If you'd rather just give directly to Samantha's Light the Night team you can do that at the site linked there. I thank you for that.

Also, Samantha and her family are having a lemonade sale this weekend to help raise funds. If you're in the Columbia MD area, please consider dropping by.


Toto, Too

Materials:
*Less than 130 yds each of two colors of Muench Touch Me,
I used Silver & Medium Bright Purple

*Less than 35 yards each of two colors of Paton's Cha-Cha,
I used Night Club & Disco. (or 1 ball of one color, knitter's choice)

*5mm needles in whatever method you choose to knit small circumfrences
(most of Toto is knit flat, but you can work the whole project on one set of needles)

*Less than 8 oz machine washable stuffing (actual amount will vary according to your desired firmness)
I used FiberFill

*Optional: fabric in coordinating colors for use as lining pre-stuffing.

Remember, one dollar from every purchase will go to Samantha's Light the Night team

THANK YOU!






















4 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I don't know what your heart is made of, but it's definitely at least as precious as gold. Who can resist such a wonderful Toto?

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really need the pattern so I went to her page and donated $5. I hope you don't mind...

12:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You're platinum, baby! I'm heading over to donate!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

This is awesome! It was great to meet you and "Toto" at sit and knit on Monday.

I am going to stop by the lemonade stand to say hi!

-Jody

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.