banner

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Some more details...

100_1819
This is 4 oz of Amy-Boogie's Waternymphs roving, spun up with no regard to color placement. It's yummy, lovely, luscious stuff. So yummy, lovely, luscious, that I got more.

100_1818
Here's some of the more - 4 oz in progress of her Poison colorway. It's done now, but we keep having power outages (which takes me an embarrassing amount of time to figure out when I'm working on a laptop) and I haven't been able to get the finished skein of 252 yds uploaded. This was a three-ply, and the first time I've split the roving lengthwise to attempt color-balence. It worked okay, but not perfectly. I like the resulting yarn, and I've got more of this colorway, so I may try again, more carefully. Or I may not. I'm crazy like that.

100_1823
This is some of my favorite sock yarn - Schaefer Anne. Really amazing, a joy to work with, terrific colors and extremely generous yardage (I could possibly get two pair for my tiny feet out of one hank). The whole time I work with it I sit there saying "wow, I love this yarn". This color is actually a deep, rich, orange, not red, but Schaefer's colors are all terrific. And you know how some brands tend to be all bright, or all pastels? These run the whole stretch.

100_1824
I can't help it, I see garish, glaringly bright Dale yarn, I want preppy fair isle socks.

100_1822
This is part of a little project I'm doing for Mama E because I love her so much. It's one-eighth of a project that is one-third done.

100_1821
A top you'll see more of in the future, one of my own design. I was tickled pink (no pun intended) that I found beads that exactly match the two yarns there, old Katia (I believe discontinued) cotton. I haven't done a beaded design before, but I walked past someone on the street wearing a top in the shape this will become, and it sparked me. This will be very different from that one, but I'm excited about it now. I say now because I tend to hate my designs when I'm done with them, but I'm still in the early fantasy phase with this, so I'm looking forward to the progression.

100_1820
Still more Amy-Boogie's roving - this is Mermaid. It's just a two ply, though I'm not sure why, because I don't care for two ply yarns. But I like the way it turned out, and if I remember next time there's power I'll offer some pretty amusing photos as proof of my stubbornness. Let's just say I have proof you can in fact fit four ounces of yarn on a bobbin that claims to be much smaller. And I can do it twice.

100_1817
I believe this will make some lovely winter gloves for me. It's a wool/angora/teensy-bit-of-angelina blend (the angelina is what makes the sparkles, Suzie, it's sometimes called firestar as well). I'm working up a blend of just white angora and more angelina for a third ply, and then I'll have a soft, warm, slightly sparkly, fine yarn for gloves.

100_1816
This is super cool stuff. A few weeks ago, I went to my favorite LYS (who happens to now employ me as a teacher) with Laura to help her try out wheels. While we were there, we saw a huge bag of intriguing stuff and asked Chris about it. She told us she'd found it in her storage at home and doesn't remember how much she paid for it, but if I wanted she'd sell me the whole lot for $10. Nineteen and a half ounces, baby.
Oh, and what is it? Wool blended with shredded blue jeans.
Could you plotz?
I know, it's way cool, and SO fun to play with. I'm not usually a fan of the novelties, but this is really a blast.
Plus, I discovered my mother is possibly color blind, as she couldn't guess what it was, and when I said the color was a giveaway, she said "sheep colored?"
So now everytime my spinning group wants to know about something blue, they say "you know, the sheep colored stuff".

100_1815
And this???

Well, you'll have to come back tomorrow night to find out more about this....

10 Comments:

Blogger KatyaR said...

Wow--you've been busy! Great spinning! I especially like the "wool/angora/teensy-bit-of-angelina blend"--that will make gorgeous gloves.

7:44 PM  
Blogger chacha / Jen said...

The stuff from Amy-Boogie is gorgeous! I love the "Poison" colorway. :)

11:35 PM  
Blogger Bess said...

Wow is right! You are one productive gal! Beautiful stuff there.

9:53 AM  
Blogger sheep#100 said...

LOL, sheep colored stuff!

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mm..hi.it's Anna (again with the questions). I wanted to say that I really appreciated your responding to my question on the storage bobbin process. I've printed that entry off for reference and it's been a great help! But here I am again scratching my head on 3ply (sorry - this is getting old I know) can you explain how you make a 3-ply yarn? Do you ply from 3 bobbins? or do you make a 2 ply and then go back and ply the 3rd? I don't know if you've already covered this in the archives (I've been searching). I really appreciate all the information you've shared via your blog. Thanks in advance (again sorry for the dumb questions)
Anna

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice spinning!

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your spinning gorgeous.

12:27 AM  
Blogger aija said...

Wow, busy!! I love that tonal schaefer anne...

2:24 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Amie, your spinning rocks!

3:58 PM  
Blogger KT said...

Still waiting for the goods on the grey stuff! Geez, c'mon, real life shouldn't stand in the way of knitblogging! =D

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.