banner

Friday, August 03, 2007

Baby's first Petsmart visit...

I fully intended to take Oscar to the dog park this morning, then, while he was still tired, straight to Petsmart to get food and a new chew toy.

I overslept, and it got too hot for me to be willing to follow him around picking up poop (this is remarkably a much higher temperature than I would have thought pre-dog park days).

I do have this cell phone picture of him at the park a few days ago.

Look! The back end of my dog! And Jackie! And Koi way off in the distance!

This is a fairly appropriate shot, since his back end is both very cute and much faster than the front end. Watching him run towards you is really hysterical - his hind quarters are so strong it sort of throws off the balence of things and he can't run in a straight line. He has to readjust his angle frequently, and still you can see all four legs at the same time.

In any event, no dog park, but we did still need dog food, so I decided to try him out at Petsmart. He's never been before, and while I wouldn't say it was a mistake, I think trying to take him and expecting to be able to make a purchase was a mistake.

Imagine, if you will, your four-year-old toddler running down the aisles of the toystore yelling "this is mine and this is mine and this is mine!"

Only instead of a four-year-old toddler, you have my four-year-old pitbull, whose feet slip too much on the tile floor, and instead of touching toys and yelling "this is mine" he's marking his territory. It got messy, fast.

Add to that the salesclerk who asks if I would mind cleaning up after him (no, it's my dog, my job, I'm fine with that) but doesn't seem to understand that perhaps I didn't carry a roll of papertowels in with me, and therefore has to be asked twice to actually hand me papertowels for me to do so.

And add to that the total stranger/fellow customer who has chosen to explain to me that when I claim my dog is an American Pit Bull Terrier, it's sheer ignorance on my part, because he's actually a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and actually rolled his eyes and shook his hands at my ignorance. 'Cuz, ya know, I know nothing about this creature with whom I have chosen to share my life, home, and loved ones, and have worked very hard to train and socialize and educate. For all I know, he's just a big cat that likes snow. I am just a stupid woman, you know.

(No, I didn't stuff the pee-soaked paper towel down his throat. Yes, I do want props for that.)

Anyway, I'll have to make a special trip out to get food and chew toys since we're running out of his second favorite chew toy (the cardboard from the toilet paper roll) and has resorted to sucking his thumbs. I figure I should get him a bone before he has to gnaw off his own arm to have a toy in the living room. He's destroyed all the official chew toys but the super big wee bone that he can't carry around and so stays in his bedroom (with the little pink teddy bear that only comes out during thunderstorms).


(and thank you for not noticing my attempt to using canine cuteness to distract you from the complete and utter lack of fiber-y work done around here. Assuming I remain this unproductive, cute cat pictures coming soon!)

4 Comments:

Blogger Agnes said...

Too hilarious imagining the scene in the shop ... LOL!

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An Oscar post is as good as a knitting post. A cat post would work too.
Please don't do a spinning post, because I'm trying to convince myself that I. Really. Don't Want. To. Spin.
Sewing would be better.
Because I really matter a lot.
(Hey, my word is dmkdvuz.)

5:36 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Oh, he's so beautiful! I'm cracking up about taking him to Petsmart - I only tried that once with Murphy, and spent the entire time restraining him from jumping out of the cart, because distance to the floor was no object when there was such abundance before him. I thought he was going to explode with excitement at the toy aisle! He was overcome with I Want It All, like Oscar.

But my friend cracked me up - when I described it to her, she nodded and said she has the same problem when she takes her daughter to the Dollar Store.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

It just so happens that Doggie Butt is one of my favorite things in the world.

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.