banner

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Testing... Testing...

Okay, I'm planning on using my actual camera for some video of Oscar I need to send to someone (nothing exciting, just getting a third or fourth opinion on things to try to correct the lean before he breaks my neck) and so took this in the yard today. If anyone knows how to get the Mac to turn the movie sideways (I turned the camera on its side to get the long shot, and can't figure out how to get the computer to compensate for that), and can explain to me, I'll do so and repost. As it is, please take a break from the Puppy Bowl (which has everyone in the house absolutely fascinated - we like the high percentage of bully breeds) and tilt your heads so that your left ear is on your left shoulder.


As you may be able to tell, Oscar is around the corner and can't see me in the beginning. I think it was a distance of about 100 feet. That was the first (and only) time I asked him to come, and with energy like that you might be able to see why one of my dog friends told me she was trying to teach her dog to do "an Oscar come". Shortly after passing the large tree, some of the feral neighborhood children ran by behind me. He stopped just to my left (and then leaned on me) so he could watch them. He had a hard time focusing on me after that (thanks to those same feral children, Oscar is pretty sure small people excrete Cheetos and he's a firm believer that you should always be ready just in case they want to give you some.)

While I'm sure you are smart enough to recognize the extreme adorable-ness that is my dog, my main reason for posting that is to see if I've figured out the camera.

To compensate for my gratuitous doggy shots, I give you....

the hat that I forgot to get pictures of:

(I really love the top view)







A few weeks ago I was commenting on how much I hate corrugated ribbing. Three guesses what I cast on mere hours later. (hint, if you can't see it, the ribbing for this hat is purple and black... corrugated.)



***EDIT FOR SALLYJO (and anyone else interested)***
He "missed" by going slightly past me. He's supposed to stop directly in front of me and sit automatically. This is tricky, though, as it took me ages to convince him to slow down before he got to me, and when he doesn't slow down he hits, and when he hits, he hits HARD (it's a bit like being hit in the shins by a sledgehammer that wags). The same friend that's trying to teach her dog the "Oscar come" pointed out that I tend to flinch when he comes running like that. Conditioned response, and all. My instinctual response to this was to step to one side right before impact, so now he tends to go just to one side. We're working on that together.

The yarn for the hat was I think Cleckheaton 8-ply Superwash. I really, really enjoyed it - very soft and pleasant to work with, came in a good bunch of colors, and of course superwash for the handknit virgins is a good thing. Inexpensive, too.

I've never sought out commission knitting work - it seems to find me. It doesn't happen a lot, which is good, but when it does, that's okay, too, usually. I try to be very honest with myself about how much I'll hate doing someone else's idea of a knit item (having learned the lesson from the god-awful stockings a few years back) and don't ever count on the income.

7 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

For a second, I thought the top view was actually a stained glass window! Very nice.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Gorgeous hat, and I never saw Oscar's cool markings from that angle before! He's gorgeous! I'll have to try a similar video with these guys. Here it goes "Dudley, come!" "Dudley, get over here!" Dudley, don't make me come get you!" (At that, he glances in my direction to see if I have shoes on.) Then I bring out the big weapon: "Do I have to call your mother and tell her you are being bad?" At that, he comes racing for the house. And that is why I call him the granddog.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Bess said...

oh what a beautifup hat It does look like stained glass while it'sloading.

drat bandaids

hugadog

b

5:27 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

I love that hat! Beautiful!

Go Oscar!!

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good grief! He certainly is enthusiastic. What did he miss? Your knee?
Thanks for the picture of the other hat. What yarn are you using, and where do you find people who will pay?

9:21 AM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

i hear you about the sliding scale thing on commissions. a few months back, while i was helping with a band competition my son was in, i saw another mother knitting, and talked to her. she was knitting scarves for her son's marine platoon, and was trying to do enough to supply the whole platoon. she was looking for help, so i volunteered. i knit 4 scarves and crocheted 1 (in a bout a week and a half, they were double stranded and only 48", lol). i gave them and the left over yarn to her, and she was thrilled ot death. well, his wife, and baby, and mini-pin are living on base here in the states, and she decided to make a scarf for the wife, and a blanket for the baby. she wanted a sweater for the mini-pin, but didn't think she was up to the challenge, so she emailed me, and asked me if i would do it. i found a crochet pattern i liked, she ok'ed it, and away i went. (she gave me the same yarn that she'd used for the scarves, lol, bernat camoflauge, colorway desert sand) i only charged her $11 ($1 for the buttons i had to buy, lol). when she asked me if i was sure that was enough, i told her that her son's sacrifice more than paid for it, as far as i was concerned. i think we both needed kleenexes at that point (my brother served in the original gulf war, and is still suffering the effects)

1:07 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

If you ever find out about the mac turing pictures sideways and how to fix that, let me know, please? I have a lot of photos that I take with the camera turned and I can't use them on my blog because they are sideways. It shouldn't be that hard, should it?

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.