banner

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Yippee for Kim!

Kim was the first commenter, and was also correct about the order of stocking knitage. Patrick came first, then Emma, then Matt, followed by poor little Kiley, for whom I have no ill feelings I was just pretty damn done with the things, and I'm sure Santa will reward her with bigger gifts that won't fit in her anorexic little toes, whereas Patrick will likely be stuck with a load of coal or something.

Anyway, Kim has requested some of my handspun in a vaguely sport or worsted weight, so I'll be going through the stash tomorrow morning and picking something out and spinning it just for her. I probably should have warned her than while I'm good at finishing tasks (*cough* stockings excluded) I'm pretty lousy at getting things to the mailbox. But it's my contest, so no deadline, and wouldn't it be lovely to completely forget about yarn and have it show up at your door? There are worse surprises, right?

In the meantime, I do have one last stocking to go (for William - the little bugger can't even go by "Bill" I gotta knit WILLIAM on the blasted thing) but I'm on vacation now. I'll start William's stocking Friday afternoon, but yesterday after the delivery, tonight, and tomorrow, I'm on a break. This means that, without any regard whatsoever for deadline or responsibility

I knit this at work today (the watchband, not the actual face. I'm good, but I'm not THAT good). A very beloved someone gave me this watchface I saw but didn't buy during a visit. She went back the next day and bought it for me. (you can't see it, but the face is a pale limey green) I knit the band out of another special someone's sock yarn, leftover from the St. Patrick's Socks.

I also did a little of this with Aslan helping to predraft. I decided I didn't like the sample yarn I made, so I went a little thinner, and I'm liking it better. I have a solid apple green (which I'm sure shocks everyone of you) and a solid copper color, and as I spin, I daydream about the variety of ways I can ply those combinations together. I'm picturing a beautiful gradual change from one color to the next...

And just for fun I'm doing this sock - I'm playing with some variations on the Strong Heel, which I really like, but isn't toe up, which I prefer. So we'll see what happens. And I kinda like the way this tweedy look kinda stripes, kinda doesn't with the green flecks and the black flecks. The observant among you may recognize that as the "carrot yarn" - the yarn that sat in my eyeline while I forced my way through the stockings. It apparently worked, since I have three days to play now, so I am quite thankful for this yarn.

Now wasn't that a great segue into Thanksgiving?




Happy Thanksgiving Smiley Flag Turkey

3 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

What an adorable watch band. Inquiring minds want to know, though, how are you clasping it? Did you tie it, slip it over your wrist, attach a clasp?

The sock looks great. I'm still so new to knitting socks that I have no idea what a strong heel is, but I'm thinking I'll google it here shortly.

Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy your break.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

Why, oh why, did you have to talk about that cute little Panda? I'm in love with her, she's driving me crazy and I'm spending WAY too much time playing with her!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Kim in Oregon said...

Yes, please publish (or put for sale) the watchband pattern. I want to make one!

Oh, and don't worry about promptness with the homespun, I'm not expecting it until after the holidays at the earliest. Enjoy December, you deserve it.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.